What Skills Do Companies Seek in High School Interns?

• Thread starter Tom83B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the company is looking for someone who is skilled in programming, has a good attitude, and is from a different country.
Tom83B
Hi,
I'd like to apply for an internship for the following summer.

What skills are the companies looking for? Is there anything useful I should get better at? I know some basic calculus and I'm deffinetly going to keep on improving (or at least I'll try), but is there anything else, that would allow me to do at least a little challenging work?

This school year I'm going to participate in one high-school competition and I'm probably going to do a numerical simulation of the solar system and detemine the time of the solar eclipse, how much does Jupiter move with the Sun and so on.
Would it be helpful if I sent them the project? Is there some specific language that would interest the employers (I'm planning on doing it in C++, but if it really helped I could try doing it in Fortran or st...)

When should I apply and what are the chances?
I probably have to add that I'm from Czech Republic, so it's probably a little different from US. But I think I'll be able to apply e.g. to a company in Germany - Because of the EU stuff (and my German should be hopefully pretty good by then, since now I'm in Germany for 6 months). Btw. would languages help my chances to get technical-oriented summer-job?

Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't comment on companies in Europe and how often or if they even will hire a high school intern, and for America (depending on the field of course) it might be more likely for you to get work at a university providing you have an important skill: programming. If you are a systems/linux/fortran/objective-c guru and you know a bit about the topics of research, I can't see that many people turning you down. You may want to try and go talk to some professors in their offices as sending emails is kind of stupid honestly and usually doesn't work anyway. It seems like you somewhat take a leap of faith by showing your face to them and telling them that you can do this, which I spose shows that you really want to do it so you took an effort to talk to them and it's a bit more personal as well too.

Anyway, tl;dr be a monster programmer and you have a good chance anywhere.

Well, I'm not monster programmer or C/Fortran/whateverlanguage guru. But you think that the most important think is to work on my programming skills?

Dude you need to become a guru at at least 1 language, not just a bit of this and a bit of that.. The summer is a long ways away so you have a lot of time to get skilled.

Hello! I can tell you that companies are always looking for interns who possess a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It's great that you have a basic understanding of calculus and are committed to improving this skill. In addition, companies often look for interns who have experience with computer programming and numerical simulations, so your planned project on the solar system could definitely be useful to include in your application. As for the programming language, it's always helpful to have experience with multiple languages, but it's not necessary to switch from C++ to Fortran or another language just for an internship.

In terms of when to apply and your chances of getting accepted, it's best to start researching and applying for internships as early as possible. Some companies may have specific application deadlines, so make sure to check their websites for more information. Your chances also depend on the competitiveness of the program and the number of applicants, but having strong skills and a unique project like yours can definitely improve your chances.

As for the language skills, being proficient in multiple languages is always a plus, especially if you are applying for a job in a country where that language is spoken. However, it may not necessarily be a deciding factor for a technical-oriented summer job.

I wish you the best of luck in your internship search! Remember to highlight your skills, experiences, and enthusiasm in your applications. Companies are always looking for passionate and dedicated individuals like yourself.

Related to What Skills Do Companies Seek in High School Interns?

1. What are the most important skills for high-school interns to have?

The most important skills for high-school interns to have are communication, time management, critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. These skills will not only help them succeed in their internship but also in their future academic and professional endeavors.

2. How can high-school students acquire these skills?

High-school students can acquire these skills through various means, such as participating in extracurricular activities, volunteering, taking on leadership roles, and seeking out internships or job shadowing opportunities. Additionally, students can also develop these skills through self-reflection, learning from mentors or role models, and seeking feedback and constructive criticism.

3. Are there specific technical skills that high-school interns should focus on?

While technical skills can be beneficial for high-school interns, they are not necessarily a requirement. However, if the internship involves a specific technical field, it would be beneficial for the student to have some basic knowledge or training in that area. Some common technical skills that may be useful for high-school interns include computer proficiency, data analysis, and coding.

4. How can high-school interns make the most of their experience?

To make the most of their experience, high-school interns should actively seek out opportunities to learn and grow. This could include asking questions, taking on new tasks and responsibilities, networking with professionals in their field, and reflecting on their experiences. Additionally, it is important for interns to maintain a positive attitude, be open to feedback, and be willing to step out of their comfort zone.

5. Can high-school interns include their internship experience on their resume or college applications?

Yes, high-school interns can include their internship experience on their resume or college applications. This experience can demonstrate their dedication, hard work, and relevant skills to potential employers or college admissions committees. It is important for interns to accurately and effectively communicate their responsibilities and accomplishments during their internship on their resume or applications.