What should the pH of a .121M KI solution be (electrochem lab)?

• Thread starter dopaminergic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab Ph
In summary, there may have been a calibration error with the pH meter used in the experiment, leading to unexpected pH readings. The low amperage measured could be a result of the pH meter not being properly calibrated or of low OH- ion concentration in the solution. It is recommended to double-check all steps and materials used and potentially repeat the experiment for more accurate results.
dopaminergic
I think I calibrated my pH meter improperly during lab; I got a pH of 4.70, which doesn't make any sense, as KI isn't acidic, as far as I know.

After electrolysis (2I- + 2H2O --> I2 + 2OH- + H2) with a 9V battery, I found a pH of 9.97, which doesn't seem to be correct, either:

(change in [OH-]) = (10^-4.03) - (10^-9.3) = 9.33 * 10^-5M

mol OH- = [OH-] * volume = (9.33 * 10^-5M) * 0.050L = 4.6 * 10^-6 mol

I = Q/t
t = 1800s
Q = (96485C/ mol e-) * (2mol e- / 2mol OH-) * (4.6 * 10^-6 mol OH-)

I = (96485C/ mol e-) * (2mol e- / 2mol OH-) * (4.6 * 10^-6 mol OH-) / 1800s
I = 2.4657 * 10^-4 C/s

I = 2.5 * 10^-4 A

That seems like an absurdly low amperage - have I done anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Based on the information provided, it seems like there may have been an error in the calibration of your pH meter. A pH of 4.70 for KI does not make sense, as you mentioned, and a pH of 9.97 after electrolysis also seems unlikely.

It's possible that the pH meter was not properly calibrated before use, or that there was some contamination on the electrode. It's also important to make sure that the solutions used during the experiment were properly prepared and at the correct concentrations.

In terms of the calculations, it's difficult to determine if there was an error without knowing the specific details of the experiment and the equipment used. However, the low amperage could potentially be due to a low concentration of OH- ions in the solution, which could be a result of the pH meter not being properly calibrated.

I recommend double-checking all of the steps and materials used in the experiment, and if necessary, repeating the experiment with proper calibration and preparation to get more accurate results. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

I would first suggest double-checking the calibration of your pH meter to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, the pH of a KI solution can vary depending on the concentration and temperature, so it would be helpful to provide more information about the specific conditions of your experiment.

In regards to the electrolysis results, it is important to consider other factors such as the presence of impurities or other reactions that may affect the pH. It would also be helpful to compare your results to expected values or to repeat the experiment to confirm the accuracy of your findings. Overall, it is important to carefully analyze all variables and sources of error in order to make accurate conclusions in scientific experiments.

Related to What should the pH of a .121M KI solution be (electrochem lab)?

1. What is pH and why is it important in a KI solution?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, on a scale from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic. In a KI solution, pH is important because it can affect the electrochemical reactions that take place.

2. How is the pH of a solution determined?

The pH of a solution can be measured using a pH meter or pH paper. These tools use a chemical indicator to determine the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, which is used to calculate the pH.

3. What factors can affect the pH of a KI solution?

The concentration of KI, temperature, and the presence of other substances in the solution can all affect the pH of a KI solution. The concentration of KI is the most significant factor, as it directly affects the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

4. What is the ideal pH for a .121M KI solution?

The ideal pH for a .121M KI solution would be around 7, as this is considered neutral. However, slight variations in pH may occur due to experimental errors or other factors.

5. How can the pH of a KI solution be adjusted?

The pH of a KI solution can be adjusted by adding an acid or base to the solution. For example, if the solution is too acidic, a base such as sodium hydroxide can be added to raise the pH. Alternatively, if the solution is too basic, an acid such as hydrochloric acid can be added to lower the pH.