What should be the intensity of receiving fibers for proper reception?

You can space the fibers closer together and get a good average value for the signal.As far as coupling the light into the receiving fiber, I think you will just have to figure out how much light you can couple in when the fibers are a small distance apart, and then move them further apart. If you have some calculation, you can try that. I would just try to see how close you can get them.Good luck.I am using one fiber as receiver. and the displacements are very small. So I am confused how can I use calibration to calculate displacementI am thinking about finding the voltage generated by reciever when transmitter is at some distance (say 1 cm) and then taking the voltage of reciever when
Jeff123
I have a transmitting fiber and a receiving fiber. Now the transmitting fiber core diameter is 50 micrometer and I want to know how many receiving fibers should be used so all light from transmitted fiber is received properly.

As suggested by some friends beam follows the Gaussian distribution. So I tried searching and got these link http://www.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/gb_2_2.htm

where I assumed that w(z) should be radius of my receiving fiber as I was thinking using 2 of receiving fiber of 200 micrometer so I thought maybe I should use 200 micrometer as radius or w(z) value. The wavelength I used was from 400nm to 900nm and got z that is separation distance as 20 mm to 38 mm. I don't know if it is right. I assumed starting beam radius which is w0 as 25 mm as core diameter of transmitting tube is 50 mm

Now I have a power output of 1w so I need to know what should be intensity which my recieveing fibers will recieve. I have got the formula for intensity here http://www.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/gb_2_1.htm
but it has a parameter r which if i have understand correectly is same as w. so I am confused.

Can anyone please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If you're just coupling the beam from one fiber to another, why not use a lens to focus the beam onto the receiving fiber? Also, is there a reason for having the beam exit the fiber at this point? What is the purpose of the receiving fiber?

The Gaussian beam calculation would require more information. For example, the beam is probably already diverging when it exits the transmitting fiber, and you cannot assume the waist w0 is located at the end of the fiber.

If you can measure the divergence angle of the beam, that would be useful.

Actually the transmitting beam will have some displacement and these will be received by receiving fiber. now if I introduced lens in between them then lens will be fixed and how it will work I am not sure.

The purpose of receiving fiber is to receive the light from the transmitting fiber and give it to phototransistor. we are trying to see hwo much displacemnt is occurring by transmitting fiber which is linked to some biological object

Thanks for your reply

Jeff, sorry about the late reply.

Since you're trying to measure displacement, I am thinking the best approach is to first calibrate the setup by measuring the signal for several (known) displacements of the receiving fiber. I would not depend on calculations and assumptions about the beam intensity for something like this.

I don't know what magnitude of displacements you are expecting, but using a micrometer screw to move the receiving fiber for the calibration might be helpful. You could get one of these:

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=MS1

A full turn of the screw provides a 250 um (1/4 mm) displacement.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for reply again.

I am little confused let me tell you what I need to achieve.

I have transmitter fiber on one end of which will be light source. Transmitting fiber will take that light and emit on other end. The biological tissue is attached to transmitting fiber. Now the biological tissue is continuously creating some force which will make the transmitter move a lil bit as it will create displacement of transmitting fiber. Now the force is in microNewton range.

The recieveing fiber will receive the light but due to small change in displacement the intensity of light incident on receiving fiber will change which will lead to change in voltage generated by phototransister. What I am going to do is apply some known forces and measure the voltage. These voltages will be sued as references when actual force from biological tissue is applied.

I have got almost everything just I am confused how to provide calibrate the system as well as what should be distance between reciever and transmitter so maximum intensity can be used

Thanks man. These will be counted as favor from you as well as these community

Okay, thanks for clarifying the procedure. I would still just proceed experimentally with the calibration. Try calibrating at different distances between the two fibers, and see where you get a reasonable sensitivity for the range of forces you are expecting.

A couple of things worth mentioning, in case you are not aware of them ... sorry if these are obvious to you:
  • You'll want to locate the receiving fiber away from the central maximum in intensity. Move it laterally so that the signal is roughly 1/2 of the central maximum, then do the calibration. This will give much better sensitivity than if you are near the maximum.
  • Does your light source fluctuate in power? That may be something to check out and be aware of.

EDIT:
Without knowing how the transmitting fiber's displacement and/or angle changes with applied force, detailed knowledge about the beam's intensity pattern is not really useful.

I totally agree with Red, here. However, now I'm confused. From the OP I thought that you would use an array of receiving fibers. But now it sounds like you will use only one receiving fiber. If you are only using one fiber, then Red's suggestion to maximize sensitivity is important. However, if you use an array of fibers, then you don't need to worry much about this.

Related to What should be the intensity of receiving fibers for proper reception?

1. What is a Gaussian beam?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a bell-shaped intensity profile, with the highest intensity at the center and gradually decreasing towards the edges. It is commonly used in many scientific and industrial applications due to its ability to maintain its shape over long distances.

2. How is a Gaussian beam characterized?

A Gaussian beam is characterized by its waist size, which is the point of highest intensity, and its divergence, which is the rate at which the beam spreads out as it travels. These two parameters, along with the wavelength of the light, determine the overall shape and properties of the beam.

3. What factors affect the shape and properties of a Gaussian beam?

The shape and properties of a Gaussian beam can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the diameter of the laser beam, and the distance the beam travels. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and the quality of the optical components can also have an impact.

4. How is a Gaussian beam different from other types of laser beams?

A Gaussian beam differs from other types of laser beams in its intensity profile, which is bell-shaped rather than uniform. It also has a characteristic "top hat" shape, with a flat top and rounded edges, which makes it different from other types of beams such as Bessel beams or Laguerre-Gauss beams.

5. How is a Gaussian beam used in scientific research?

Gaussian beams are used in a wide range of scientific research applications, including spectroscopy, microscopy, and laser processing. They are also commonly used in laser physics and optics research, as well as in fields such as astronomy and biomedical imaging.