What shape has the largest area for a fixed perimeter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the regular polygon or closed shape with the largest area for a fixed perimeter. The answer is the circle, but proving it is a challenge. The conversation also mentions a similar problem for closed surfaces in R^3, with the sphere being the shape with the largest volume for a fixed surface area. The conversation also briefly touches on an odd relation discovered while working on the problem. The term "isoperimetric problems" is mentioned, which are solved using calculus of variations. However, the conversation also includes the possibility of intuitive proofs for this problem.
qspeechc
Hello everyone.

While I was waiting for my computer program to run, I occupied myself with this little problem. For a fixed perimeter, which regular polygon (or any closed shape in the plane) has the largest area? The answer is the circle (I guess), if we regard it as an infinite-sided polygon. But how does one prove this? Are there any simple proofs? Any intuitive proofs?
Obviously then one could look at closed surfaces in R^3, and see which has the largest volume for a fixed surface area, which should be the sphere.
Any thoughts?

Btw, I got this odd relation while trying to work out this problem:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}{\frac{\cot{(\pi /n)}}{4n}} = \pi[/tex]
lol.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
These are called isoperimetric problems, and are dealt with using calculus of variations.

And yes, you have identified the correct shapes that maximize the area/volume for a given perimeter/surface.

Thanks, I googled "isoperimteric" and got some sites which gave intuitive proofs, that don't use calculus of variations, which is what I wanted.

Related to What shape has the largest area for a fixed perimeter?

1. What is a "Polygon of Largest Area"?

A Polygon of Largest Area is a geometric shape with a closed boundary made up of straight line segments. It is the largest possible polygon that can be drawn within a given area, with the same perimeter length.

2. How is the largest area of a polygon determined?

The largest area of a polygon is determined by maximizing the number of sides, as well as the length and angle of each side. This ensures that the perimeter length remains constant while the area is maximized.

3. What is the significance of finding the largest area of a polygon?

Finding the largest area of a polygon is important in mathematics, as it helps to understand the relationship between perimeter and area. It also has practical applications in architecture, engineering, and construction, where maximizing the use of space is crucial.

4. Can any polygon be the largest area within a given boundary?

No, not all polygons can be the largest area within a given boundary. The shape of the polygon and the length of its sides play a significant role in determining the largest possible area. Generally, regular polygons with equal sides have the largest area within a given perimeter length.

5. Are there any real-life examples of polygons of largest area?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of polygons of largest area. For example, a circular or hexagonal garden within a given boundary would have the largest area. In architecture, circular or hexagonal rooms also have the largest area within a given perimeter length. In nature, the cells of a honeycomb are hexagonal in shape, maximizing the use of space and creating the largest possible area for each cell.