What salary could I expect from Volvo summer co-op?

In summary, the conversation discussed an individual's surprise at receiving a call from Volvo for a summer co-op internship, which would require them to travel to and from the USA. The individual inquired about the pay for the internship and whether it would be enough to cover expenses. The response mentioned the variability in pay and benefits for internships and encouraged the individual to take advantage of the opportunity if possible. The conversation also touched on the topic of European employment in the States and the potential for unpaid internships. The advice given was to directly ask Volvo about reimbursement and to consider the value of the experience.
Butters
I'm from eastern Europe so i was really surprised to get a call from Volvo that I have naively applied to for a summer co-op internship. The problem is that the summer is short and it would require me to travel to and from USA which is expensive. What pay could i expect from such work and would it actually be enough to survive in the states for 3 months?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless someone here has specific experience with Volvo's internship program it is impossible to say. When I was an intern 20 years ago I got $10 an hour and I had friends making $25 an hour and others who had housing included. The variation between internships is enormous.

Congratulations on the internship offer! If you can at all swing it I would go for the opportunity unless you have an even better one closer to home.

I really don't know if I can "swing it" but It feels great to be contacted after several failed attempts. I'm also interested in this whole European in the States employment thing. Let me know if you know anything about visas, prices etc.
Doesn't look like it's profitable for them to employ an outsider.

Many summer internships in the US are unpaid. You really need to ask the employer, nobody else will be able to tell you.

1. just ask Volvo about the reimbursement.
2. Even if it is unpaid, do it (but try to negotiate about it). Such experience can be of great value later in life.

Related to What salary could I expect from Volvo summer co-op?

1. What is the average salary for a summer co-op at Volvo?

The average salary for a summer co-op at Volvo varies depending on the position and location. However, according to Glassdoor, the average hourly pay for a summer co-op at Volvo in the United States is $22 per hour.

2. Are there any additional benefits included in the salary for a summer co-op at Volvo?

In addition to the hourly pay, summer co-op employees at Volvo may also receive benefits such as housing allowances, transportation reimbursement, and access to company events and activities.

3. Do summer co-ops at Volvo receive the same benefits as full-time employees?

Summer co-ops at Volvo are not eligible for the same benefits as full-time employees. However, they may receive certain benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, and vacation days depending on the length and terms of their employment.

4. Is the salary negotiable for a summer co-op at Volvo?

The salary for a summer co-op at Volvo is typically not negotiable, as it is based on the position and location. However, candidates can negotiate other aspects of their offer, such as start date, work hours, and job responsibilities.

5. Are there any opportunities for salary increases during a summer co-op at Volvo?

Summer co-op employees at Volvo may have the opportunity for salary increases if their performance exceeds expectations or if they take on additional responsibilities. However, these increases are not guaranteed and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.