What precisely IS reflection: what happens at the microscopic level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of photons and electromagnetic waves in explaining optical phenomena in solids. It is suggested that a quantum mechanical description of the solid is necessary for a complete understanding of this topic. The reflection and refraction of light off a metal surface is also mentioned, with the importance of the plasma frequency and plasmons explained. The book "Classical Electrodynamics" by JD Jackson is recommended for a mathematical overview, but it is noted that it does not focus on photons specifically.
henpen
I post in the QM section as an answer in terms of photons rather than just EM waves would be better.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there might be a complicated path integral-like formalism for photons, but a good way of looking at it is with EM waves. The crystal structure of the dielectric is composed of a bunch of dipoles, which oscillate in the E field of the EM wave. And then, an oscillating dipole gives off its own radiation. The values of epsilon in either medium should determine the direction of that radiation in those media.

henpen said:
I post in the QM section as an answer in terms of photons rather than just EM waves would be better.

You may want to start by reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=168308

Your question was moved to the solid state forum because I'm assuming that you're asking about specular reflection off ordinary mirrors. Mirrors are typically metal films, and thus, it is a topic in solid state/condensed matter physics. The quantum mechanical picture of optical phenomena in solids is complex and extensive, and it involves just just the photon, but also the quantum mechanical description of the solid itself. This means that the nature of the solid as crucial, since that is what is interacting with the photons.

Zz.

As far as I remember, Feynman has a very nice discussion, in terms of dipoles, in Vol. 1 of his lectures. He also discusses refraction, interference and diffraction.

Feynman goes into a Non-mathematical explanation in QED (for the layman) of photons reflected off glass surfaces, its a nice read, even if you are mathematically inclined.

Classical Electrodynamics by JD Jackson will give you a detailed mathematical overview in terms of photons I believe

As someone has already pointed out,that the reflection and refraction from a metal surface depends on plasma frequency.if frequency of light is above the plasma frequency ,it will transmit otherwise it will reflect. Plasmons the quantum excitation of plasma state will explain it.see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmon

FeynmanIsCool said:
Classical Electrodynamics by JD Jackson will give you a detailed mathematical overview in terms of photons I believe

Have you read Jackson? There is very little in it on photons.

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you read Jackson? There is very little in it on photons.

Chapter 7 titled: Plane Electrodynamic Waves, and Wave Propagation. Your right, it deals with relflection and refraction of wave based light, but not photons, so your right Whoops!

Related to What precisely IS reflection: what happens at the microscopic level?

1. What is reflection?

Reflection is the process by which light bounces off a surface. It occurs when light waves strike a surface and the waves are redirected, either back into the same medium they came from or into a different medium.

2. How does reflection work?

At the microscopic level, reflection occurs when a light wave hits a surface and the electric field of the wave interacts with the charged particles in the surface. These particles then vibrate at the same frequency as the light wave and emit their own electromagnetic waves. These waves combine with the original wave to create a new wave that is redirected in a different direction.

3. What are the types of reflection?

There are two main types of reflection: specular reflection and diffuse reflection. Specular reflection is when light bounces off a smooth surface, such as a mirror, at a consistent angle. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when light bounces off an uneven or rough surface, and the reflected light is scattered in different directions.

4. How is reflection different from refraction?

Reflection and refraction are both processes that involve light waves interacting with a surface. However, in reflection, the light waves are redirected back into the same medium, while in refraction, the light waves are bent as they pass through a different medium.

5. What are some real-life applications of reflection?

Reflection has many practical uses in everyday life. Some examples include mirrors, which use specular reflection to create an accurate reflection of an object, and headlights on a car, which use diffuse reflection to spread light in different directions for better visibility. Reflection is also used in photography, telescopes, and laser technology.