What Non-Flammable, Conductive Chemicals Can Be Used in Liquid Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a non-flammable and conductive chemical in liquid form. Suggestions include using water with dissolved salts, strong acids or bases, or a liquid metal such as mercury, gallium, or indium-gallium alloy. The potential dangers and applications of these chemicals are also mentioned. The use of mercury in products is banned in the USA due to its toxicity.
paraskevi
Hi, I am not a Chem student but I have a few questions.

I am looking for a non flammable chemical that is also conductive.Liquid form preferred!
Multiple suggestions appreciated...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
paraskevi said:
Hi, I am not a Chem student but I have a few questions.

I am looking for a non flammable chemical that is also conductive.Liquid form preferred!
Multiple suggestions appreciated...
What about water with salts or strong acids or strong bases dissolved in it?
Among pure substances: a liquid metal (Hg, Ga or any other metal which can be melted; in case, low melting point alloys) liquid HF, liquid ammonia.

What sort of application are you looking at? Water with an ionic or polar covalent compound dissociated in it it can cause redox reactions to occur (especially if you have non-inert metal electrodes). This can cause the creation of flammable hydrogen gas (with oxygen as an accelerant) and it can degrade components.

I agree with lightarrow that a liquid metal is handy. Mercury is used in some orientation switches because of its low viscosity and high conductivity.

This guy has a cheap indium and gallium liquid metal alloy if you are interested:
http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/liquid_metal/liquid_metal.html

Last edited:
wil3 said:
.I agree with lightarrow that a liquid metal is handy. Mercury is used in some orientation switches because of its low viscosity and high conductivity.
In the USA, mercury is banned from most or all retail products due to the toxicity of methyl mercury.
Mercury can amalgamate other metals (e.g., silver, gold, copper) and corrode others (e.g., aluminum).
About 1950, I panned lots of mercury near abandoned mercury mines in California (mercury was used to make primer during WW II), and have given most of it away.

Related to What Non-Flammable, Conductive Chemicals Can Be Used in Liquid Form?

1. What are non-flammables and how are they different from flammable materials?

Non-flammables are materials that do not easily catch fire or burn. They are different from flammable materials because they have a higher ignition temperature and do not release flammable vapors.

2. What types of materials are considered non-flammable?

Materials such as water, sand, and most metals are considered non-flammable. Some chemicals, such as halon and carbon dioxide, are also non-flammable.

3. How do non-flammable materials affect conductivity?

Non-flammable materials do not affect conductivity as they do not contain any volatile substances that can interfere with the flow of electricity. In fact, some non-flammable materials, such as metals, are good conductors of electricity.

4. Are all non-flammable materials also non-conductive?

No, not all non-flammable materials are non-conductive. While most metals are both non-flammable and good conductors of electricity, some non-flammable materials, such as glass and rubber, are insulators and do not conduct electricity.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using non-flammable materials?

While non-flammable materials are generally considered safe, it is important to note that they can still pose hazards if used improperly. For example, some non-flammable chemicals can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is always important to follow proper safety precautions when handling any type of material.