What lengths would be measured for two cars passing each other at 0.18c?

In summary, the person in car A measures her car to be >6.15m long, while car B measures to be <6.00m.
catalyst55
Hi,

This is the q. I'm pretty sure that they've got it wrong.

Two cars A and B pass each other at a speed of 0.18c. A person in car B says her car is 6.00m long and car A is 6.15m long. What does a person in car A measure for these two lengths?

Obviously, the person in car A would measure her car to be >6.15m long and car B to be <6.00m.

Because they pass each each at relativistic speeds, it would be prudent to use loretz transformations to find their relative speeds (even though galilean transformations would probably suffice).

speed relative to one another = (.18+.18)/(1+(.18*.18/1)) = (.18+.18)/1.0324 = .3487c (will use exact value though)

Thus, the length of car B is 6*1/loretz factor = 5.62m
and the lengh of car A is 6.15*loretz factor = 6.56m

the answers they get are 6.25m for car A and 5.90m for car B.

Am i right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
catalyst55 said:
Hi,

This is the q. I'm pretty sure that they've got it wrong.

Two cars A and B pass each other at a speed of 0.18c. A person in car B says her car is 6.00m long and car A is 6.15m long. What does a person in car A measure for these two lengths?
They pass each other at 0.18c...what does that mean? My interpretation is that each measures the speed of the other to be 0.18c. You seemed to assume that theyboth have a speed of 0.18c relative to a third observer but that does not seem to fit the question. With that speed, one gets their answer.

Patrick

nrqed said:
They pass each other at 0.18c...what does that mean? My interpretation is that each measures the speed of the other to be 0.18c. You seemed to assume that theyboth have a speed of 0.18c relative to a third observer but that does not seem to fit the question. With that speed, one gets their answer.

Patrick

Ah, i see.

Thanks.

Related to What lengths would be measured for two cars passing each other at 0.18c?

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations that describe how measurements of space and time change from one reference frame to another in special relativity.

2. What is the purpose of Lorentz transformations?

The purpose of Lorentz transformations is to reconcile the differences between measurements of space and time in different reference frames and to maintain the principles of special relativity, such as the speed of light being constant.

3. How do Lorentz transformations differ from Galilean transformations?

Lorentz transformations differ from Galilean transformations in that they take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, whereas Galilean transformations assume that space and time are absolute and do not change with speed.

4. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Lorentz boost?

A Lorentz transformation refers to the set of equations that describe the relationship between measurements of space and time in different reference frames, while a Lorentz boost specifically refers to the transformation that describes the change in measurements when moving from one inertial reference frame to another at a constant velocity.

5. What is the role of the Lorentz factor in Lorentz transformations?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by γ, is a mathematical term that appears in Lorentz transformations. It is a function of velocity and represents the amount of time dilation and length contraction that occurs at high speeds. It is necessary for maintaining the principle of the speed of light being constant in all reference frames.