What languages did J. Robert Oppenheimer speak?

In summary: In 1933 he learnedSanskritand met the IndologistArthur W. Ryderat Berkeley. He read theBhagavad Gitain the originalSanskritand later he cited it as one of the books that most shaped his philosophy of life.German - as mentioned by StatGuy2000 his doctorate thesis is written in GermanDutch - In the autumn of 1928, Oppenheimer visitedPaul Ehrenfest's institute at theUniversity of Leiden, the Netherlands, where he impressed by giving lectures in Dutch, despite having little experience with the language.I have found that he spoke about 6 languages. Do you know which languages these are?
baddolphin
What languages, except English, did J. Robert Oppenheimer speak?

Likes Medicol
Science news on Phys.org
baddolphin said:

According to the biographical entry of J. Robert Oppenheimer in Wikipedia, he had obtained his doctorate in physics at the University of Gottingen under Max Born, with his thesis written in German, so I presume he spoke German fluently (particularly given that his parents were Jewish immigrants from Germany, so he likely would have been exposed to the language at home as well). I have no idea if he was educated in or fluent in any other language.

Likes Medicol
baddolphin said:
I'm curious why you ask.

Likes Evo and Medicol
Is this all he can speak?

English
German
French
Dutch
Sanskrit

zoobyshoe said:
I'm curious why you ask.
I find this guy and his brother very fascinating. That's why I want to know more about him, including what languages he spoke.

I have found that he spoke about 6 languages, but so far I know only about these 4:

English
- his native language
Sanskrit: In 1933 he learnedSanskritand met the IndologistArthur W. Ryderat Berkeley. He read theBhagavad Gitain the originalSanskritand later he cited it as one of the books that most shaped his philosophy of life.
German - as mentioned by StatGuy2000 his doctorate thesis is written in German
Dutch - In the autumn of 1928, Oppenheimer visitedPaul Ehrenfest's institute at theUniversity of Leiden, the Netherlands, where he impressed by giving lectures in Dutch, despite having little experience with the language.

other possibilities that I am not sure:
?French
- Oppenheimer was a versatile scholar, interested in English and French literature, and particularly inmineralogy.
?Hebrew or Yiddish - he was Jewish so maybe his parents did teach him Hebrew or Yiddish
?Latin or Greek

baddolphin said:
I find this guy and his brother very fascinating. That's why I want to know more about him, including what languages he spoke.
I see.

I have found that he spoke about 6 languages, but so far I know only about these 4:
This is a confusing statement. When you say, "I have found that he spoke about 6 languages," do you merely mean you read an assertion he spoke 6 languages?

Dutch
- In the autumn of 1928, Oppenheimer visitedPaul Ehrenfest's institute at theUniversity of Leiden, the Netherlands, where he impressed by giving lectures in Dutch, despite having little experience with the language.
Due to the phrase, "despite having little experience with the language," it might not be correct to conclude he spoke Dutch. Based on his experience with German he might have undertaken to deliver lectures in Dutch if someone else wrote them, if he were provided with a good translation, and he had heavy coaching on the pronunciation. (I'd be willing to do that myself, having studied German four years in college, and finding that, when I am confronted with Dutch text I can 'decode' much more of it than I should be able to, never having studied it. It's very similar to German.) On the other hand, if he actually managed to write these lectures completely by himself, I'd conclude he spoke Dutch.

Related to What languages did J. Robert Oppenheimer speak?

1. What were J. Robert Oppenheimer's native languages?

Oppenheimer's native language was English, but he also learned German from his mother, who was a German immigrant.

2. Did J. Robert Oppenheimer speak any other languages besides English and German?

Yes, Oppenheimer was also fluent in French and Sanskrit. He learned French during his studies at Harvard University and Sanskrit while studying at the University of Göttingen in Germany.

3. How did J. Robert Oppenheimer become proficient in multiple languages?

Oppenheimer was raised in a multilingual household and was exposed to different languages from a young age. He also had a passion for learning and studied abroad, which allowed him to become proficient in French and Sanskrit.

4. Did Oppenheimer use his language skills in his work as a scientist?

Yes, Oppenheimer's knowledge of German and Sanskrit was useful in his work as a physicist. He was able to read and understand scientific papers written in these languages, which helped him stay updated on the latest research and developments.

5. Was Oppenheimer's ability to speak multiple languages common among scientists during his time?

No, it was not common for scientists during Oppenheimer's time to be proficient in multiple languages. However, Oppenheimer's language skills set him apart and allowed him to make important contributions to the scientific community.