What kind of rubber is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material"?

In summary, there are hundreds of thousands of varieties of rubber, some of which are made from environmentally friendly materials, but there is no guarantee that any of these products is safe for infants.
jake jot
How many kinds of rubber are there? And what does "Environment Friendly Rubber Material" mean? Hundreds of thousands of babies put these in their mouth and lick them continuously.
toy abs with rubber.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber#Varieties

But there are no language police to prevent marketing campaigns from using the word rubber for almost anything. I don't think we will be able to give you a specific answer unless you give us the identity of the specific product.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber#Varieties

But there are no language police to prevent marketing campaigns from using the word rubber for almost anything. I don't think we will be able to give you a specific answer unless you give us the identity of the specific product.
front label.jpg

label zoom.jpg

back label.jpg

These are made in china. Does anyone know how to read chinese here? Some PF members from China?

anorlunda said:
But there are no language police to prevent marketing campaigns from using the word rubber for almost anything.
Nor the term "environmentally friendly". When I clicked the thread title/link, I found the question is about safety, not the environment. They are totally different things - in some ways, even opposites.

Likes Bystander, anorlunda and hutchphd
Note these toys made in china are sold in amazon and the USA and millions worldwide use them. So we need to identity the exact ingredients.

I tried to google food grade rubber and I saw this.

https://www.aquasealrubber.co.uk/products/food-grade-rubber/

rubbers list.JPG

I let someone with access to a Raman spectrometer scan it.

Raman of unknown rubber.JPG

I tried to match the above to each spectrum of the list. No match. Can anyone give all lists of rubbers so I can match? Does rubber come with alloys meaning they mixed different thing to make the rubber in the toy?

Also what molecule is the peak close to 3000 cm-1 ?

Likes FactChecker
jake jot said:
Note these toys made in china are sold in amazon and the USA and millions worldwide use them. So we need to identity the exact ingredients.
Who is we?

Likes pbuk, russ_watters and Tom.G
I think the question that needs to be answered is 'is this product safe for an infant child?' We cannot answer this on PhysicsForums.

It would not be legal for Amazon or anyone else to import or sell this product in the UK or anywhere in Europe.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thanks to everyone - time to close the thread

Likes berkeman

Related to What kind of rubber is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material"?

1. What is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material"?

"Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" is a type of rubber that is produced using sustainable and eco-friendly methods. It is made from natural and renewable sources, such as plants, and does not contain harmful chemicals or additives.

2. How is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" different from traditional rubber?

Unlike traditional rubber, which is often made from synthetic materials derived from petroleum, "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" is made from natural sources. This makes it more sustainable and less harmful to the environment.

3. Is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" biodegradable?

Yes, "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" is biodegradable. This means that it can break down into natural materials over time, reducing its impact on the environment.

4. What are the benefits of using "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material"?

There are several benefits to using "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material". It is more sustainable and eco-friendly, as it is made from natural sources. It also has a lower carbon footprint and does not release harmful chemicals into the environment. Additionally, it can be recycled and reused, reducing waste.

5. Is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" as durable as traditional rubber?

Yes, "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material" is just as durable as traditional rubber. It has similar properties and can be used in a variety of applications, such as in tires, seals, and other rubber products.