What jobs can you get with a Bachelors in Applied Math

In summary, the conversation discussed potential job opportunities for someone majoring in Applied Mathematics at Fresno Pacific University. The individual expressed dissatisfaction with their school's career services and mentioned their interest in engineering, which is not offered at their school. Suggestions for career paths included academic or government jobs involving statistical models, programming jobs (with additional classes), and actuarial jobs. It was also suggested that there are still many job options in fields such as finance, economics, and national defense for those not pursuing further studies in mathematics. The conversation ended with a recommendation to explore online resources for more information and to consider transferring schools or seeking outside funding to pursue a career in engineering.
Thinkle12
So, I am majoring in Applied Mathematics at Fresno Pacific University and was just wondering what sorts of jobs I could get with my major. My school career services is kind of useless to be honest and I've already talked to them... I was just wondering what you all thought? I have always wanted to do engineering but my school does not have it... Thanks for the responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
All the applied math majors I know have academic or government jobs ... building statistical models and um stuff.

Programming jobs come to mind, but you will need to take some classes on it while you're in school. Also, check out actuarial jobs.

If you aren't planning on pursuing further studies in mathematics, there are still many jobs available. Some areas in finance, economics, national defence. There are many resources online that talk about such positions,
for instance,
http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathcareers.html

is one I stumbled on.
If you really do want to do engineering though, maybe you should look at transferring schools, or looking at possible outside funding you could get so that you could pursue what you really want to do, or decide if it is a viable option.

As a scientist with a background in applied mathematics, I can tell you that there are many exciting and lucrative career opportunities available to you with a Bachelor's degree in Applied Math. Some of the most common job roles for applied math graduates include data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, risk analyst, operations research analyst, and statistician. These roles can be found in a variety of industries such as finance, insurance, consulting, technology, healthcare, and government.

Additionally, with a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills, you could also pursue a career in engineering by gaining practical experience through internships or further education in a specialized field. Many engineering companies value individuals with a strong mathematical background and are willing to train and mentor them for specific roles.

Furthermore, you could also explore opportunities in research and development, where your mathematical skills can be applied to solve complex problems and develop innovative solutions. Some other potential career paths for applied math graduates include software development, teaching, and even entrepreneurship.

I would also recommend networking and reaching out to professionals in your desired field to gain more insights and advice on how to best utilize your degree. And don't forget to continue learning and honing your skills through online courses, workshops, and certifications to stay competitive in the job market.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope that you find a fulfilling and rewarding career path in applied mathematics.

Related to What jobs can you get with a Bachelors in Applied Math

1. What types of industries can I work in with a Bachelor's in Applied Math?

A Bachelor's in Applied Math can open doors to a variety of industries, including finance, data analysis, engineering, computer science, and research. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from this degree make it applicable to many fields.

2. Can I work as a mathematician with a Bachelor's in Applied Math?

While a Bachelor's in Applied Math can provide a strong foundation in mathematics, it is typically not enough to work as a mathematician. Most mathematician positions require at least a Master's degree or higher.

3. Are there opportunities for advancement with a Bachelor's in Applied Math?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement with a Bachelor's in Applied Math. Depending on the industry, you may be able to work your way up to positions such as data scientist, financial analyst, or systems engineer.

4. Can I get a job as a teacher with a Bachelor's in Applied Math?

A Bachelor's in Applied Math alone may not be enough to qualify for a teaching position. However, with additional education and teaching certification, you may be able to teach math at the high school or community college level.

5. What skills will I gain from a Bachelor's in Applied Math that are applicable to the job market?

A Bachelor's in Applied Math provides students with a strong foundation in mathematical theory, problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. These skills are highly sought after in industries such as finance, data analysis, and engineering, making graduates with this degree valuable in the job market.