What is wrong with the following calculation using infinite series?

In summary: One of the common mistakes made when dealing with infinite series is forgetting to include the -1 in the 1 - 1 pair. This can cause an error in the calculation, as seen in this example.
5hassay

Homework Statement

0 = 0 + 0 + 0 + ...
0 = (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ...
0 = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ...
0 = 1 + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + ...
0 = 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ...
0 = 1

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Beginning on line 4, or

an error is made. Specifically, the repeating number 0 was not completely repeated. More specifically, the -1 number of the 1 - 1 pair to make zero was not inserted, thereby making this statement invalid.

Do I have the correct idea and am I missing anything? Also, any terminology I could have used is more than welcomed!

Much appreciation!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write a valid equation, both sides need to be well defined. When is the value of an infinite series well defined?

jambaugh said:
When you write a valid equation, both sides need to be well defined. When is the value of an infinite series well defined?

I think that the value of an infinite series is well defined when the partial sum Sn is close as it can to the limit L be adding infinitely many terms in the series (the sum).

So, if I took the limit of both sides of the equation (zero and zero), both sides will be equal to zero (the limit of a constant is the constant).

However, I do not believe I am providing the necessary statements.

5hassay said:

Homework Statement

0 = 0 + 0 + 0 + ...
0 = (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ...
0 = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ...
0 = 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ...
0 = 1

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Beginning on line 4, or

an error is made. Specifically, the repeating number 0 was not completely repeated. More specifically, the -1 number of the 1 - 1 pair to make zero was not inserted, thereby making this statement invalid.

Do I have the correct idea and am I missing anything? Also, any terminology I could have used is more than welcomed!

Much appreciation!
The reason this doesn't work is that (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ..., which is a type of series called an Alternating Series, does not converge (meaning it doesn't add up to a finite number) and diverging series do not conform to the normal rules of arithmetic. An alternating series is a series in the form
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n a_n[/tex]
The conditions for this series converging are:
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]a_n < a_{n-1} \;\; \forall n[/tex]

Since [itex]a_n = 1[/itex], this series would be
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n = 1-1+1-1+\cdots[/tex]

This series fails the first test.
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} 1 = 1 \neq 0[/tex]

So it diverges.

This is actually a well known divergent series, known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi%27s_series" .

Last edited by a moderator:
5hassay said:
I think that the value of an infinite series is well defined when the partial sum Sn is close as it can to the limit L be adding infinitely many terms in the series (the sum).

So, if I took the limit of both sides of the equation (zero and zero), both sides will be equal to zero (the limit of a constant is the constant).

Exactly, so now apply the same definition to the sum of 1's of alternating signs and as mentioned it does not converge so it is neither equal to zero nor equal to the series of zeros.

BrianMath said:
The reason this doesn't work is that (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ...,
A bit of a nitpick, but this series is perfectly fine -- it is an infinite sum whose terms are all zero.

You're thinking of the next line:
1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ...​

BrianMath said:
The reason this doesn't work is that (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ..., which is a type of series called an Alternating Series, does not converge (meaning it doesn't add up to a finite number) and diverging series do not conform to the normal rules of arithmetic. An alternating series is a series in the form
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n a_n[/tex]
The conditions for this series converging are:
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]a_n < a_{n-1} \;\; \forall n[/tex]

Since [itex]a_n = 1[/itex], this series would be
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n = 1-1+1-1+\cdots[/tex]

This series fails the first test.
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} 1 = 1 \neq 0[/tex]

So it diverges.

This is actually a well known divergent series, known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi%27s_series" .

We clearly don't need [itex]a_n < a_{n-1} \;\; \forall n[/itex], because what happens in the first N terms (for fixed, finite N) will not affect convergence.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I think I have a good idea of the problem and solution, however some of the replies were a bit over my current (basic) understanding of infinite series.

Thank you for everyone that replied!

Related to What is wrong with the following calculation using infinite series?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It can be written in the form of ∑an = a1 + a2 + a3 + ..., where an is each term in the series and n represents the term number. Infinite series are often used in mathematics and physics to represent functions or values that cannot be expressed in finite terms.

2. How is an infinite series calculated?

An infinite series is calculated by adding up all the terms in the series. However, since there are an infinite number of terms, it is impossible to calculate the exact sum. Instead, mathematicians use different methods such as convergence tests, partial sums, and approximations to determine the value of the series.

3. What is a common mistake when using infinite series?

A common mistake when using infinite series is assuming that the series will always converge to a finite value. In reality, not all infinite series converge, and some may even diverge to infinity. It is important to use convergence tests and other methods to determine the behavior of the series before using it in calculations.

4. What are some applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent functions and values that cannot be expressed in finite terms, such as the value of pi or the solution to differential equations. They are also used in numerical analysis, signal processing, and other fields to approximate values and make calculations more efficient.

5. How can a mistake in an infinite series calculation be identified?

A mistake in an infinite series calculation can be identified by using convergence tests and comparing the calculated value with known values or approximations. If the calculated value differs significantly from the expected result, it is likely that there was an error in the calculation. Additionally, checking for errors in the terms of the series and the chosen method of calculation can help identify and correct any mistakes.