What is this plastic measuring thing?

In summary, the conversation discusses a character on a TV show holding a curved plastic measuring tool, which is later identified as a French curve. The conversation also mentions the character's profession as an architect and the similarity to a drafting tool used by the OP's father, who is an engineer. The conversation ends with the OP expressing gratitude for the identification of the tool.
Vorde
http://postimage.org/image/urnvnzkhz/

I was watching a tv show (the astute watcher will recognize it as How I Met Your Mother), when I saw one of the characters holding this thing (the curved plastic measuring-thing).

My dad used to have one of those on his work bench, and I used to play with it as a kid, but seeing it in the TV show I realized I had no idea whatsoever what it was. I tried googling it, but I ran into the inherent problem of figuring out what I would call it and I couldn't find anything, so I was hoping PF would help me.

The character in the show is an architect and my dad is an engineer, if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

compass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_(drafting )

Last edited by a moderator:

No the other thing, the one that looks like a big plastic nine (I'm so technical).

Huh. Didn't even notice that. No idea. Looks like a specialty protractor, but I'm reaching here.

French curve?

Jimmy said:
French curve?

why, you!

Sorry. :-p

My monitor is too old. I couldn't even see the french curve in the OP's image.

French curves were very valuable tools in the days before CAD. I probably have more than a dozen of them in storage somewhere. Haven't uses them since about 1980.

It's definitely a French curve, as others have suggested. Like Pkruse I have several of them.

Haha thanks everyone, that solved a little part of my childhood :)

Related to What is this plastic measuring thing?

What is this plastic measuring thing?

This is a tool used for measuring various things, such as length, volume, or weight.

How does it work?

This plastic measuring thing typically has markings or numbers on it that correspond to specific units of measurement. By aligning the object being measured with these markings, you can determine the measurement.

What are the different types of plastic measuring tools?

Some common types include rulers, measuring cups, and beakers. Each type is used for measuring different things, such as length, volume, or liquids.

Why is it made of plastic?

Plastic is a durable, lightweight, and inexpensive material, making it a practical choice for measuring tools. It is also non-reactive to most substances, making it suitable for measuring a variety of materials.

Can it be used for precise measurements?

It depends on the accuracy and precision of the specific plastic measuring tool. Some may have finer markings for more precise measurements, while others may be more suitable for rough estimates.