What is this object? (Magnetic/electric problem)

• Thread starter Greywolfe1982
  • Start date
In summary, the object described is an inductor, which is a simple electrical circuit that includes a knife switch, a lightbulb, and a coil of copper wire surrounded by three iron bars. When the switch is turned on, the brightness of the lightbulb is affected by the positioning of the iron bars. This is due to the iron becoming magnetized by the current running through the copper wire, causing changes in the magnetic field that affect the flow of current in the circuit. The phenomenon of eddy currents and hysteresis in the iron also contribute to energy loss and heating.
Greywolfe1982
The base of the object is a fairly simple electrical circuit - it's plugged into an electrical outlet for a power source, and there is a circuit with a knife switch, a lightbulb and a coil of copper wire (700 turnings, if it makes a difference). Surrounding the copper wire is 3 iron bars, positioned in an upside-down-U shape. Here's a rough sketch of it:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3163/83145558.png

When the switch is on, the light bulb will turn on, however how bright it is depends on the positioning of the iron bars: when the iron bars are far above the coil of copper wire, the light bulb is bright, but when they are brought down to surround the top/left/right of the coil (the areas in front of the front, back and bottom do not change), the light dims. I need to explain what is causing this.

My thought was that it was that the iron became magnetized from the current running through the copper wire, causing the domains to line up in a certain direction (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/ferro.html#c4). The magnetic field from the iron then affects the current flowing through the circuit (Faraday's Law) which makes the light bulb become more or less bright. I know this isn't right though...can anybody help me out, or give me the name of the object so I can research it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aaaanybody?

It's an inductor. The iron is a imperfect conductor so the changing magnetic fields induce currents and 'magnetic friction' leading to energy loss and heating in the iron. Look up things like "eddy currents" and "hysteresis".

Related to What is this object? (Magnetic/electric problem)

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it affect objects?

A magnetic field is a force created by moving electric charges. It can attract or repel other magnetic objects and can also cause charged particles to move in a circular pattern. It can affect objects by exerting a force on them, causing them to move or align with the field.

2. How does an object become magnetized?

An object can become magnetized when its atoms align in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. This can happen through exposure to a strong magnetic field or by rubbing a magnet against the object.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that is always magnetic, while an electromagnet is only magnetic when an electric current runs through it. The strength of an electromagnet can also be controlled by adjusting the current, while a permanent magnet has a fixed strength.

4. How does electricity and magnetism work together?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are part of the same fundamental force called electromagnetism. Electric currents create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is used in many technologies, such as generators and electric motors.

5. Can an object have both magnetic and electric properties?

Yes, an object can have both magnetic and electric properties. This is because both forces are part of the same fundamental force of electromagnetism. For example, a magnet has both magnetic and electric properties, as it can create a magnetic field and also attract or repel other objects due to its electric charge.