What is the Zero Vector in a Vector Space with Unconventional Operations?

In summary: Yes, the zero vector in this space is the number 1. To get the additive inverse of any number x, you need to add ##\frac{1}{x}##. So the zero vector is the multiplicative inverse of any number in this space.Yes, the zero vector in this space is the number 1. To get the additive inverse of any number x, you need to add ##\frac{1}{x}##. So the zero vector is the multiplicative inverse of any number in this space.
B18

Homework Statement

Determine if they given set is a vector space using the indicated operations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Set {x: x E R} with operations x(+)y=xy and c(.)x=xc
The (.) is the circle dot multiplication sign, and the (+) is the circle plus addition sign.

I tried to use axioms 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,10 to prove it isn't a vector space and have not found anything yet. I am not entirely sure how I can define the 0 vector which is why i haven't tried axioms 4, and 5.

Anyone able to steer me down the right path on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:

Homework Statement

Determine if they given set is a vector space using the indicated operations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Set {x: x E R} with operations x(+)y=xy and c(.)x=xc
The (.) is the circle dot multiplication sign, and the (+) is the circle plus addition sign.

I tried to use axioms 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,10 to prove it isn't a vector space and have not found anything yet. I am not entirely sure how I can define the 0 vector which is why i haven't tried axioms 4, and 5.

Anyone able to steer me down the right path on this one?

Nobody can say, because we do not know what book you are using and do not know exactly what is the content of Axioms 1,2,3, etc. Different books sometimes have slightly different axioms and will often number them differently.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1425442787.977196.jpg

Here is the list of axioms I'm using. I never thought of that. Thanks Ray.

B18 said:
View attachment 79922
Here is the list of axioms I'm using. I never thought of that. Thanks Ray.

You say you did axiom 6? ##(-1)## is in ##R##. What is ##\frac{1}{2} \odot (-1)##? Are you sure you don't mean ##R## to be the positive reals? And why don't you think about trying 1 as a '0 vector'.

Last edited:
Likes B18
The "0" vector has the property that v+ 0= v for any vector v. Here, that must be that v times "0" is equal to v. So what number has that property? Of course, every vector must have an "additive inverse" which, since "addition of vectors" is here defined as their product, means there is likely to be a problem with the number 0. That is one reason Dick asked about whether the vectors were not the positive reals rather than all real numbers.

Likes B18
Dick said:
You say you did axiom 6? ##(-1)## is in ##R##. What is ##\frac{1}{2} \odot (-1)##? Are you sure you don't mean ##R## to be the positive reals? And why don't you think about trying 1 as a '0 vector'.
Wow, that one flew right past me. Apparently I wasn't thinking about exponent rules enough. The set is all real numbers though, nothing indicating that it is only positives.

B18 said:
Wow, that one flew right past me. Apparently I wasn't thinking about exponent rules enough. The set is all real numbers though, nothing indicating that it is only positives.
Can you post a photo of the problem? If the set involved is all real numbers, you're going to have problems with things like ##.5 \odot (-1)##, which is ##(-1)^.5##. Also not stated in this thread is the field that the scalars come from.

Sure thing!
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1425500220.542684.jpg

HallsofIvy said:
The "0" vector has the property that v+ 0= v for any vector v. Here, that must be that v times "0" is equal to v. So what number has that property? Of course, every vector must have an "additive inverse" which, since "addition of vectors" is here defined as their product, means there is likely to be a problem with the number 0. That is one reason Dick asked about whether the vectors were not the positive reals rather than all real numbers.
In this case the zero vector would have to be equal to 1?

Yes, the "zero vector", with this definition of vector addition, must be the number "1".

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the "zero vector", with this definition of vector addition, must be the number "1".
So (B18), keeping in mind that 1 in this space acts like 0, what do you have to "add" to a number x so that ##x \oplus ? = 1##? IOW, what do you have to "add" to a number x to get "zero"? Hope that doesn't boggle your mind too much!

Related to What is the Zero Vector in a Vector Space with Unconventional Operations?

1. What is a vector space set?

A vector space set is a collection of objects called vectors that can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers) to produce new vectors. These operations must satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication, to be considered a vector space.

2. How do you prove that a set is a vector space?

To prove that a set is a vector space, you must show that it satisfies the 10 axioms, or properties, of vector spaces. These include properties such as closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, and distributivity. If all 10 axioms are satisfied, then the set is a vector space.

3. Can a set be a vector space if it only satisfies some of the axioms?

No, in order for a set to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy all 10 axioms. If even one axiom is not satisfied, the set cannot be considered a vector space.

4. What is the importance of proving a set is a vector space?

Proving that a set is a vector space is important in order to use the tools and techniques of linear algebra. It allows for the application of vector operations, such as addition and multiplication, to solve problems in mathematics, physics, and other fields.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving a set is a vector space?

While there are certain patterns or strategies that can be used to prove a set is a vector space, there are no shortcuts or tricks that can be applied in all cases. Each set must be evaluated and proven according to the 10 axioms of vector spaces.