What is the wire's linear charge density?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the linear charge density of a long charged wire based on the orbit of a proton around it. The attempt at a solution includes equations F=qE, F=ma, F=(mw^2)/r, and F=Eklambda/2r=mw^2/r, but the correct equation should be either F=(mω2)r or F=(mv2)/r. This may be the cause of the incorrect answer, as the calculated linear charge density is 5.7*10^-4 nC/m, which is incorrect.
smoics

Homework Statement

A proton orbits a long charged wire, making 1.60 * 10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.60 cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

Homework Equations

F=qE
F=ma
F=(mw^2)/r
F=Eklambda/2r=mw^2/r (the radiuses cancel out)

The Attempt at a Solution

a=w^2/r=((1.60*10^6 rev/s *2pi)^2/.016 m
F=ma m=1/67 *10^-27
E=F/q E=6.59*10^7
LAMBDA=5.7*10^-4 nC/m This is incorrect. Where am I going wrong? I have stared at this problem too long and can't figure out what the problem is (it might be some minute conversion issue or something because I think the set up is correct)?

Physics news on Phys.org
smoics said:

Homework Statement

A proton orbits a long charged wire, making 1.60 * 10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.60 cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

Homework Equations

F=qE
F=ma
F=(mw^2)/r   This should be either F=(mω2)r, or F=(mv2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a=w^2/r=((1.60*10^6 rev/s *2pi)^2/.016 m
F=ma m=1/67 *10^-27
E=F/q E=6.59*10^7
LAMBDA=5.7*10^-4 nC/m This is incorrect. Where am I going wrong? I have stared at this problem too long and can't figure out what the problem is (it might be some minute conversion issue or something because I think the set up is correct)?
See comment in red.

Related to What is the wire's linear charge density?

1. What is linear charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit length along a one-dimensional object, such as a wire or line. It is measured in units of coulombs per meter (C/m) or charge per unit length (C/m).

2. How is linear charge density calculated?

Linear charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge on the wire by its length. This can be expressed as the equation λ = Q/L, where λ is the linear charge density, Q is the total charge, and L is the length of the wire.

3. What is the difference between linear charge density and surface charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the charge along a one-dimensional object, while surface charge density refers to the charge per unit area on a two-dimensional object, such as a sheet or plate. Linear charge density is measured in C/m, while surface charge density is measured in C/m².

4. Can linear charge density be negative?

Yes, linear charge density can be negative if the charge on the wire is negative. This indicates that the charges on the wire are moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.

5. How does linear charge density affect the electric field around a wire?

The linear charge density of a wire affects the strength of the electric field around it. As the linear charge density increases, the electric field strength also increases. This can be seen in the equation E = λ/2πε₀r, where E is the electric field strength, λ is the linear charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the wire.