What is the vertical force exerted by pier P on the left end of the bridge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a bridge and how it supports an object. It also mentions the use of steel rockers to ensure vertical support forces even during thermal expansion or contraction. The focus is on finding the vertical force that pier P exerts on the left end of the bridge, with a calculation involving torque, mass, gravity, and other factors. A mistake is made and corrected in regards to the denominator in the calculation.
vorcil
FORCES On a bridge

A bridge, constructed of 11 beams of equal length L
and negligible mass, supports an object of mass M

as shown. (Intro 1 figure) Real bridges of this sort have steel rockers at the ends (check one out sometime), these assure that the support forces on the bridge are vertical even when it expands or contracts thermally.

Throughout this problem, use g for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

MFS_st_1_a.jpg

Find FP , the vertical force that pier P exerts on the left end of the bridge.

My attempt:
I know the mass exerts a clockwise torque on the left end
and that their is also the force of the whole bridge on the bridge due to gravity

so Fp = Torqueduetomass + the whole weight force /2 (because it's halved? due to theother end of the bridge helping out)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vorcil said:
Substituting in (1) for h from (2), I from (3), and w from (4):
(mv^2 + 2mv^2 / 3) = mgs sin(a)
Looks like you dropped a factor of 2.

Doc Al said:
Looks like you dropped a factor of 2.

wait can you please explain?

(mv^2 + 2mv^2/3) /2 is correct?

vorcil said:
(mv^2 + 2mv^2/3) /2 is correct?
Yes, that is correct. (Don't lose that 2 in the denominator.)

Doc Al said:
Yes, that is correct. (Don't lose that 2 in the denominator.)

thanks, I've changed the question now this is one I've had ages to do but keep getting it wrong

vorcil said:
thanks, i've changed the question now this is one I've had ages to do but keep getting it wrong
Don't go back and change the question. That turns the thread into gibberish.

Related to What is the vertical force exerted by pier P on the left end of the bridge?

1. What is the concept of a ball rolling?

The concept of a ball rolling is the physical movement of a spherical object along a surface due to the forces of gravity, friction, and other external factors.

2. How does the mass of the ball affect its rolling motion?

The mass of the ball does not affect its rolling motion as long as its shape and surface remain consistent. This is because the force of gravity, which is responsible for the ball's rolling motion, acts equally on all objects regardless of their mass.

3. What factors affect the speed of a rolling ball?

The speed of a rolling ball is affected by several factors such as the slope of the surface, the force of gravity, the mass and shape of the ball, and the amount of friction between the ball and the surface.

4. Can a ball continue rolling indefinitely?

No, due to the presence of friction, a ball will eventually come to a stop if it continues rolling on a flat surface. However, a ball can continue rolling for a much longer time on a smooth and inclined surface due to the reduced friction.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying ball rolling?

Studying ball rolling has several real-life applications, such as understanding the movement of objects on inclined surfaces, designing efficient wheels for transportation, and predicting the trajectory of a rolling ball in sports such as bowling and billiards.