What is the unidentified XX peak in my temperature variation PL spectra?

• Thread starter sttan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emission
In summary, during a temperature variation photoluminescence (PL) measurement (4K to 200K) on ZnO films grown on sapphire, three emission peaks were observed: free exciton (FE), exciton bound to neutral donors (BE), and an unknown peak (XX). As the temperature increased, the BE peak was quenched around 80K, leaving the FE peak as the dominant peak. However, the XX peak did not show any significant quenching up to 200K, indicating that it may be exciton-related. After eliminating other possible origins, it is believed that the XX peak is emission from an exciton bound to a neutral acceptor with a binding energy of around 500K
sttan
I had done a temperature variation PL (4 to 200 K) on my samples. I have found out that there are three emission line in the PL spectra, namely free exciton (FE), exciton bound to neutral donors(DX) and an unknown peak (let's called it XX).

As the temperature was increased from 4 K to 200 K, as expected, the DX was quenched at a temperature of around 80 K. The FE is then the dominant peak from temperature 80 K onwards. Of course, there is redshift of emission for the FE due to the temperature effect. What confused me is the the XX peak.

The XX peak doesn't even quench at high temperature that up to 200 K. This puzzled me because it seems that the XX is exciton-related emission. I had eliminated out the few possible emission that could be attributed to the XX peak:

(1) it could not be the defect-related emission since it is not being quenched at high temperature.

(2) it could not be the FE-LO since the energy difference between the FE and XX is smaller than the LO energy.

(3) it is not biexciton because the energy separation is too large in this case.

Is there anyone knows what is this XX peak?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is the sample ?

2. What are the energies/wavelengths of the 3 peaks ?

3. What are their relative intensities ?

4. What shifts, if any, occur in the XX peak ?

Gokul43201 said:
1. What is the sample ?

2. What are the energies/wavelengths of the 3 peaks ?

3. What are their relative intensities ?

4. What shifts, if any, occur in the XX peak ?

1. ZnO films grown on sapphire.

2. @ 4K, FE (3.373 eV), BE1 (3.359 eV) & BE2 (3.353 eV), XX (3.335 eV)
@ 200K, FE (3.348 eV), BE1 & BE2 (quenched), XX (3.300 eV)

3. @ 4K, BE1:BE2:FE:XX = 1:0.86:0.34:0.26; FE:XX = 1:0.77
@ 200K, FE:XX = 1:0.59

Sorry for not looking at this earlier, it must have slipped by me !

I'm almost positive that XX is emission from an exciton bound to a neutral acceptor.

Looking at the donor bound exciton peaks, they are about 10-20 meV from the FE peak. That tells you that their binding energies are of order 10-20 meV (or about 100-200K). Naturally, at temperatures above 100K, these peaks will be significantly quenched.

Similarly, you find that the binding energy (assuming this is a bound exciton) of XX is of order 500K. So, there is no reason to expect it to quench by 200K.

Dear Gokul43201,

Thank you for your information. I have overlooked this possible origin.

Related to What is the unidentified XX peak in my temperature variation PL spectra?

What is exciton related emission?

Exciton related emission is a type of light emission that occurs when an exciton, a bound state of an electron and a hole in a material, recombines and releases energy in the form of a photon. This process is commonly observed in semiconductors and is important in various optoelectronic devices.

How is exciton related emission different from other types of light emission?

Exciton related emission differs from other types of light emission, such as fluorescence or phosphorescence, in that it involves the recombination of an electron and hole within a material rather than the decay of an excited state. This results in a different energy and wavelength of emitted light.

What factors affect the efficiency of exciton related emission?

The efficiency of exciton related emission is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the exciton binding energy, the density of excitons in the material, and the presence of any defects or impurities that can trap excitons and prevent them from recombining.

What is the significance of exciton related emission in optoelectronics?

Exciton related emission plays a crucial role in optoelectronic devices, as it allows for the conversion of electrical energy into light. This is important in applications such as LED displays, solar cells, and lasers.

Can exciton related emission be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, exciton related emission can be controlled and manipulated through various methods. For example, changing the composition or structure of a material can alter the strength of the exciton binding energy, leading to changes in the emitted light. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and electric fields can also influence exciton related emission.