What is the Total Work Equation for Changing an Object's Vertical Position?

In summary, the work done on an object by a force will change its velocity through a horizontal distance, but will change its vertical position if something is moving upwards. The Work formula would be: W = delta PE.
jcais
Hello,

If the work changes the object's velocity through a horizontal distance then:

W = delta KE

But, what if the work changes the object's vertical position. Then the object's mph changes. Would the Work formula be:

W = delta PE?

But, if something is moving upwards (y axis) then it has both a change in PE and KE. What would the new equation be for total work? I'm confused because we are only taught the W = delta KE equation.

Thank you. :-):approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
jcais said:
Hello,

If the work changes the object's velocity through a horizontal distance then:

W = delta KE

But, what if the work changes the object's vertical position. Then the object's mph changes. Would the Work formula be:

W = delta PE?

But, if something is moving upwards (y axis) then it has both a change in PE and KE. What would the new equation be for total work? I'm confused because we are only taught the W = delta KE equation.

Thank you. :-):approve:

Well, later in your textbook, or class, you will learn something call the conservation of mechincal( spell?) energy. which is:

W= delta E

where delta E is the sum of both delta PE , and delta KE plus... others(but you don t need to know yet)

Since you know PE, then i assume you also know that work done by a conservative force is path independent. Using the same generialization, you can compute delta E once you know the initial , and final state of the thing you called: system.

Last edited:
It's generally more helpful to ignore separate formulas and just remember that w = deltaME where ME is mechanical energy, and is, as kant said, the sum of kinetic and potential energy of an object in a system.

this formula w = deltaME I will for sure write down

thank you all for your help :-)

Related to What is the Total Work Equation for Changing an Object's Vertical Position?

What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its velocity.

How is the Work-Energy Theorem expressed mathematically?

The Work-Energy Theorem is expressed as W = ΔK, where W is the work done on the object and ΔK is the change in kinetic energy. This equation can also be written as W = ½mv2f - ½mv2i, where m is the mass of the object, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

What are the key assumptions of the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem assumes that there are no non-conservative forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance. It also assumes that the mass of the object remains constant and that the work done on the object is the only factor affecting its change in kinetic energy.

How is the Work-Energy Theorem related to other laws of physics?

The Work-Energy Theorem is closely related to the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The Work-Energy Theorem shows how work, a form of energy, can be converted into kinetic energy.

What are some real-life applications of the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem has many practical applications, such as calculating the amount of work required to lift an object to a certain height, determining the speed of a roller coaster at different points on the track, and understanding the motion of a pendulum. It is also used in fields such as engineering, sports science, and mechanics.