What is the total resistance of this circuit?

In summary: Alright, let's try it this way:1/R = 1/[(1/2)+(1/2)] + 1/[(1/2)+(1/2)+(1/2)]= 1/1 + 1/1.5= 1.5/1.5 + 1/1.5= 2.5/1.5So the total resistance between A and B is 1.5 Ohm. For the rest of the questions, you need to use Kirchhoff's laws. In summary, the total resistance between A and B is 1.5 Ohm.
MJay

Homework Statement

TRwfjAK.jpg

a) Each box has the restistance 1 Ohm. Find the total resistance between 1) A-B 2) A-D 3) B-C
b) Find I (electric current(?)) from A-D if you put a battery from B-C
c) Find I on the Ammeter and the direction (the lower picture)

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/954585_10151577257929660_1441841441_n.jpg?oh=536e2a504401f9beebed972302e56839&oe=51920295&__gda__=1368521085_3193921ab59c05a6069ec6b2519d2702
a) Use Kircchofs 2nd law on ABED to show that I3 ) 0,5A
b) Explain how I2 + I5 = 2A. Use Kirchhoffs 2nd law on BEFC to find another equation for uknown I2+I5
c) Find I1 and I4
d) Find the resistance R.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's circuit law is relevant

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 1) Thought it would be just 1 ohm but it's supposed to be 0,63 2) I used 1/Rtotal = 1/R + 1/R + R which means 2+1 = 3 which is wrong while it's supposed to be 0,5.
This makes the rest pretty complicated to solve.

I used Kirchoffs law and found following formulas but not sure if it's supposed to be solved as
5 unknowns while we've only been into 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MJay! Welcome to PF! :smile:
MJay said:
a) 1) Thought it would be just 1 ohm but it's supposed to be 0,63

You need to use all the paths from A to B :wink:
2) I used 1/Rtotal = 1/R + 1/R + R which means 2+1 = 3 which is wrong while it's supposed to be 0,5.

erm :redface:

calculate it again! :smile:

Hey thanks :)

I tried a different method now:

1/R = 1/(AC+CD) + 1/AD
which gives 2/3 then I insert it in 1/R= 1/(2/3) + 1/(AB+BD) Am I on the right way?

Hi MJay! :wink:
MJay said:
1/R = 1/(AC+CD) + 1/AD
which gives 2/3

(this is part 2)

Correct :smile:

(But your notation is terrible, and I suspect is misleading you …

you can't just call everything R, and expect not to make mistakes :redface:)
then I insert it in 1/R= 1/(2/3) + 1/(AB+BD) Am I on the right way?

nooo

think again :smile:

Yeah understand but it get's so messy while I'm doing this in the way we learned it in school which might get confusing also, I'm not sure what way I should put it. But I have no clue or book to help me out, as this is the toughest exercise (marked with 2**).

Related to What is the total resistance of this circuit?

1. What is the formula for finding total resistance?

The formula for finding total resistance in a series circuit is to simply add up all of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the formula is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a complex circuit?

In a complex circuit with both series and parallel elements, the total resistance can be calculated by breaking the circuit down into smaller parts and then using the appropriate formulas to find the total resistance of each section. The total resistance of the entire circuit can then be found by using the series or parallel formulas on these smaller sections.

3. Can total resistance ever be lower than the lowest individual resistance?

No, total resistance can never be lower than the lowest individual resistance in a circuit. This is because adding more resistors in parallel will always decrease the total resistance, but it will never be lower than the smallest individual resistance.

4. What does total resistance represent in a circuit?

Total resistance represents the overall opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. It is the equivalent resistance that would exist if all the individual resistances in a circuit were combined into one resistor.

5. How does temperature affect total resistance?

The resistance of a conductor typically increases as the temperature increases. This phenomenon, known as thermal resistance, can affect the total resistance in a circuit. In some cases, it may be necessary to take into account the temperature coefficient of resistance when calculating total resistance.