What is the total force on the face of a small dam with a hemisphere shape?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the shape and dimensions of a small dam and how to find the total force on the face of the dam assuming the water level is at the top. The figure of the dam is a hemisphere with a diameter of 40 meters, making the radius 20 meters. The conversation also addresses the use of similar triangles and the correct equation to use.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

The following figures show the shape and dimensions of small dmas.
Assuming the water level is at the top of the dam, find the total force on that face of the dam.

There's a figure of a hemisphere whose diameter is 40 meters

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So it's radius is 20 meters. I'm struggling with this problem with trying to determine the function for the radius in terms of y so that way I can find the total force. Sense this is a hemisphere shape I can't use similar triangles but is the ratio of height, y, to length of the diameter, still 1 to 2? I just wanted to make sure I could before I started solving this problem. I know what to do if I can make this assumption I just wanted to make sure it was a valid assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no figure so I don't know exactly what you mean. But it seems very strange that a dam face would be a three dimensional figure! Are you sure the dam face is not a semicircle?

If it is a semicircle, of radius 20, with the straight diameter at the top, then, taking the origin at the center of that diameter, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 400[/itex], so that [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{400- y^2}[/itex]. So the length of a line across the face at depth y is [itex]2\sqrt{400- y^2}[/itex].

My bad. Yes it is and thanks. I thought I had to apply some similar shape thing as that's what I have been doing but I forgot about x^2 + y^2 = r^2 thanks

Related to What is the total force on the face of a small dam with a hemisphere shape?

What is the total force on the dam?

The total force on a dam is the sum of all the forces acting on it, including the weight of the dam itself, any water pressure and flow, wind forces, and seismic forces. It is an important factor in determining the stability and safety of the dam.

How is the total force on the dam calculated?

The total force on a dam can be calculated using the principles of mechanics and structural analysis. This involves considering the different types of forces acting on the dam and their directions, magnitudes, and points of application. Advanced computer models and simulations are often used to accurately calculate the total force on a dam.

What factors affect the total force on the dam?

The total force on a dam is influenced by various factors such as the height and size of the dam, the type of materials used in its construction, the design and shape of the dam, the type of terrain and soil conditions at the site, and the amount of water and other loads placed on the dam.

Why is it important to know the total force on the dam?

Knowing the total force on a dam is crucial for ensuring its structural integrity and safety. If the forces on a dam exceed its strength and capacity to resist them, it can lead to failure and catastrophic consequences such as flooding, property damage, and loss of life. Understanding the total force on the dam also helps engineers and scientists design and construct dams that can withstand these forces.

How is the total force on the dam monitored and managed?

The total force on a dam is constantly monitored using a variety of instruments and sensors such as pressure gauges, strain gauges, and accelerometers. This data is then used to assess the structural health of the dam and make necessary adjustments to manage the forces acting on it. Regular inspections and maintenance are also vital in ensuring the safety and stability of a dam.