What Is the Term for Increasing Angle Sides?

In summary, the distance between the sides of an angle increases as the distance to the angle's origin increases. This is known as divergence, where lines move or extend in different directions from a common point.
Devin Alexander
This is my first post on this forum so sry if this is in the wrong place, but also it’s a weird question so I don’t know where it falls exactly.

Anyways my question is: when you have an angle, the further the distance is from the point where the angle forms, the distance between the two inner sides of the angel increases. My question is is there a term or something for making that statement, the statement being the distance between the sides of the angle increase as the distance to the angles origin increase. Is there a term for that?

Like I said, it’s kind of a weird question but it’s sometjing I’ve always wondered for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider a triangle with endpoints a, b, and c. We'll put you angle at point a. The length of sides ab and ac will be equal and that length will represent the distance "from the point where the angle forms" to the place where you are measuring it. The length of the remaining side, bc, will be "the distance between the two inner sides".
Let's call the angle at a, ##\alpha##; the distance between the sides (the length of line segment bc), ##J##; and the distance from the angle (length ab or ac), ##K##.
Then we can say that given a constant ##\alpha##, lengths ##J## and ##K## will be proportional to each other.

More specifically, ##J = 2sin(\alpha/2)K##

The term or somethng is the definition of the angle, ##\theta = S/R##, where ##S## is the arc that subtends the angle (what you call the distance between the sides of the angle) and ##R## is the radius of the arc (what you call the distance to the angle origin). If the angle is kept constant and ##S## is increased, ##R## must increase proportionally to keep the ratio constant.

Devin Alexander said:
the statement being the distance between the sides of the angle increase as the distance to the angles origin increase. Is there a term for that?
It is said that the lines Diverge: "to move, lie, or extend in different directions from a common point; branch off."

Above from: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/diverge

Related to What Is the Term for Increasing Angle Sides?

1. What is the term for increasing angle sides?

The term for increasing angle sides is called "angle dilation." This refers to the process of enlarging or shrinking angles while maintaining the same shape and proportions.

2. How is angle dilation different from angle rotation?

Angle dilation involves changing the size of an angle without changing its orientation or position, while angle rotation involves rotating the angle about a fixed point.

3. What is the formula for angle dilation?

The formula for angle dilation is: new angle measure = scale factor x original angle measure. The scale factor represents the amount by which the angle is being enlarged or shrunk.

4. Can angle dilation only occur in regular shapes?

No, angle dilation can occur in any shape or figure. As long as the angles remain proportional to each other, the shape can be dilated.

5. What real-life applications use angle dilation?

Angle dilation is commonly used in architecture and engineering, particularly in the design and construction of buildings. It is also used in map-making and cartography to create accurate representations of the Earth's surface. Additionally, in medicine, angle dilation is used in procedures such as lasik eye surgery to reshape the cornea and improve vision.