What is the surface current density at a general point on a conducting sphere?

In summary: If I can figure out how to do this then I should be able to solve for J without the notes. In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to a homework problem, but is having difficulty.
RobTwox

Homework Statement

Electric current of I amperes flows along the z-axis from (0, 0,-∞) to (0, 0, -a) and from there it spreads over a conducting sphere r = a in the -aθ direction, comes to the point (0; 0; a) and goes to (0, 0, ∞) again along the z-axis. What is the surface current density at a general point on the sphere where z = h?

Homework Equations

surface current density = Js = Δi / Δl ; l = length , i = current

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty lost with this one. If I use the above equation for surface current density it seems like I need to do this

∫ i / L dl = ∫ i / z dz from z = -a to a

I know this isn't the answer. Its to simple and my professor would never assign something as simple as this. I think I have some conceptual issues and I fear that my relevant equation is incorrect. I had to miss lecture due to a trip to the ER and I am relying on a friends notes, nice guy but less than exemplary student.

Physics news on Phys.org
RobTwox said:

Homework Statement

Electric current of I amperes flows along the z-axis from (0, 0,-∞) to (0, 0, -a) and from there it spreads over a conducting sphere r = a in the -aθ direction, comes to the point (0; 0; a) and goes to (0, 0, ∞) again along the z-axis. What is the surface current density at a general point on the sphere where z = h?

Homework Equations

surface current density = Js = Δi / Δl ; l = length , i = current

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty lost with this one. If I use the above equation for surface current density it seems like I need to do this

∫ i / L dl = ∫ i / z dz from z = -a to a

I know this isn't the answer. Its to simple and my professor would never assign something as simple as this. I think I have some conceptual issues and I fear that my relevant equation is incorrect. I had to miss lecture due to a trip to the ER and I am relying on a friends notes, nice guy but less than exemplary student.

I have a new thought. I looked up surface current density and found that the units are A / m^2. if this is true then this boils down to current per area.

So, could I say (and be correct) that the current I will be uniformly distributed and constant. Then to write a general expression for current density is it just
Js = i / (4 pi h^2).

This still seems too easy.

Related to What is the surface current density at a general point on a conducting sphere?

What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density refers to the amount of electric charge present per unit area on the surface of a material or object.

How is surface charge density measured?

Surface charge density is typically measured in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m^2) using specialized equipment such as a surface charge density meter or an electrostatic probe.

What factors affect the surface charge density of a material?

The surface charge density of a material can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, its surface area, and the presence of any impurities or charges on its surface.

Why is surface charge density important in scientific research?

Surface charge density is important in scientific research as it can influence the behavior of materials in various environments, such as in electrochemical reactions, adhesion processes, and interactions with other charged particles.

How can surface charge density be controlled or manipulated?

Surface charge density can be controlled or manipulated through various techniques such as surface modification, application of an external electric field, or adjusting the pH of the surrounding environment.