What is the surface charge density inside the hollow cylinder?

In summary, the homework statement has a picture of a cylinder with a charged area outside of it. The electric field is zero on the inside of the cylinder. The answer to the problem is that the surface charge density is -9.89866 nC/m2.
LonghornDude8

Homework Statement

The figure shows a portion of an infinitely long, concentric cable in cross section. The inner conductor carries a charge of 5.1 nC/m and the outer conductor is uncharged.
What is the electric field 1.9 cm from the central axis? The permittivity of free space is 8.85419e-12 C2/Nm2.
Answer in units of N/C.
The picture:
inner cylinder has a diameter of 3.6 cm.
Outer hollowish cylinder: diameter1 = 8.2 cm; diameter2 = 10.7 cm

Homework Equations

[tex]\int EdA = Q_{ins}/\epsilon_{0}[/tex]
Area of cylinder: [tex]A=2\pi r^{2}l[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Doing a little bit of algebra, I got the formula: [tex]\lambda/2\pi r\epsilon_{0}[/tex] and got the answer 4824.9 N/C.
I googled part of the question and saw that the way I solved it was right (my equation) and using my equation, I got their answer, but when I do the problem with the numbers I'm given, I keep getting it wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LonghornDude8 said:
Doing a little bit of algebra, I got the formula: [tex]\lambda/2\pi r\epsilon_{0}[/tex]

In what region?:wink:

Using a cylinder as the Gaussian surface, you get:
[tex]E*2\pi rl = Q/\epsilon_{0}[/tex]
and [tex]Q/l=\lambda[/tex]
therefore, [tex]Q=l\lambda[/tex]
substitute and divide both sides by [tex]2\pi rl[/tex]:
[tex]E=l\lambda/2\pi rl\epsilon_0[/tex]
cancel out the ls:
[tex]E=\lambda/2\pi r\epsilon_0[/tex]

[tex]\mu[/tex] [tex]\sigma[/tex]

oh sorry about that :S my mistake

LonghornDude8 said:
Using a cylinder as the Gaussian surface, you get:
[tex]E*2\pi rl = Q/\epsilon_{0}[/tex]
and [tex]Q/l=\lambda[/tex]

Careful, is the charged enclosed by your Gaussian cylinder really [itex]\lambda l[/itex] always? ...Even if [itex]r<3.6 \text{cm}[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
Careful, is the charged enclosed by your Gaussian cylinder really [itex]\lambda l[/itex] always? ...Even if [itex]r<3.6 \text{cm}[/itex]?

Not if you're inside, but the radius I'm given is 1.9 cm and the diameter is 3.6 cm (1.8 cm radius). Therefore, the point it's asking for is outside the inner cylinder

LonghornDude8 said:
Not if you're inside, but the radius I'm given is 1.9 cm and the diameter is 3.6 cm (1.8 cm radius). Therefore, the point it's asking for is outside the inner cylinder

Hmmm..yes, I had thought 3.6 cm was the radius...in that case, I don't see the problem...I too get 4824.9 N/C...is there more to this problem that you aren't telling us?

Short of scanning the image for the picture, that's it. I'm thinking it might be negative but I wanted to see if anyone could catch an error in what I did

So, to be clear, are you telling me that the answer to the first part of the problem isn't 4824.9 N/C?
Or, are you having trouble with the other parts of the problem? (The ones you didn't mention in your original post :wink:)

gabbagabbahey said:
So, to be clear, are you telling me that the answer to the first part of the problem isn't 4824.9 N/C?
Or, are you having trouble with the other parts of the problem? (The ones you didn't mention in your original post :wink:)

The answer is NOT 4824.9 N/C. I haven't tried the rest, I'm waiting until I get this one correct

Here's where I looked to see if my method of solving it was correct:
http://www.physics.wisc.edu/undergrads/courses/spring09/248/HWSolutions/HW6Solutions.pdf

Last edited:
LonghornDude8 said:
The answer is NOT 4824.9 N/C.

What is the answer according to whatever solution manual you are using?...I'm 99.9% sure that 4824.9 N/C is the correct answer, so I'm guessing your solution manual is incorrect.

gabbagabbahey said:
What is the answer according to whatever solution manual you are using?...I'm 99.9% sure that 4824.9 N/C is the correct answer, so I'm guessing your solution manual is incorrect.

It's an online homework thing from the University of Texas. The only way to know the correct answer is if you get the correct answer.

Sounds like it might just be a matter of rounding and sig digs...I hate those online submission things, they're soooo picky!

gabbagabbahey said:
Sounds like it might just be a matter of rounding and sig digs...I hate those online submission things, they're soooo picky!

They round to 6 sig digs & they accept any answer within a 1% error. You can change the answer by one and it'll still be within that 1% error range. Also they don't round until the end which is what I always do so I should get their exact answer. My guess is that the answer is either negative or the picture is misleading and the values given are the radius's not diameters

ya, I tried zero and got it correct... That was such a bad picture

Now I've ran into a new problem in the same set, here's the question:
What is the surface charge density inside the hollow cylinder? Answer in units of nC/m2
Because the field on the inside of the hollow cylinder is zero, the net charge must be zero (since the area is definitely not zero).
Setup: [tex]Q/l=-\lambda[/tex] and [tex]Q/A=\sigma[/tex]
set them equal and do some rearranging and you get:
[tex]\sigma = -\lambda l/A[/tex]
plug [tex]2\pi rl[/tex] in for A:
[tex]\sigma = -\lambda /2\pi r[/tex]
solve it (5.1 nC/m is lambda, 8.2 cm is r) and you get:
-9.89866 nC/m2
however, that is incorrect:confused:

Related to What is the surface charge density inside the hollow cylinder?

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss's Law applied to a conductor?

In a conductor, the electric field inside the material is zero due to the presence of free charges that move to cancel out any external fields. This means that the electric flux through a closed surface enclosing a conductor is also zero, according to Gauss's Law.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used to determine the electric field inside a conductor?

No, Gauss's Law cannot be used to determine the electric field inside a conductor. It only applies to the electric field outside the conductor. Inside the conductor, the electric field is zero and the law does not hold.

4. How does Gauss's Law explain the distribution of charge on a conductor's surface?

Gauss's Law can be used to explain the distribution of charge on a conductor's surface. Since the electric field inside the conductor is zero, any excess charge on the surface will redistribute itself so that the electric field is zero everywhere inside the conductor.

5. Is Gauss's Law applicable to all types of conductors?

Yes, Gauss's Law is applicable to all types of conductors, including both metallic and non-metallic conductors. As long as there is a flow of free charges, the electric field inside the conductor will be zero and Gauss's Law will hold.