What is the Steady State Temperature in a Circular Ring?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady state temperature in one-eighth of a circular ring using a specific solution form and an equation that the solution must satisfy. The main focus is on incorporating boundary conditions and solving for constants to obtain the general solution.
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

Find the steady state temperature ##U(r, \theta)## in one-eighth of a circular ring shown below:
OGZxSVU.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by assuming a solution of the form ##u(r,\theta) = R(r)\Theta(\theta)##. I also note that ##u(r,\theta)## satisfies the equation ##u_{rr} + \frac{1}{r}u_r + \frac{1}{r^2}u_{\theta\theta} = 0## where ##a \le r \le b## and ##0 \le \theta \le \frac{\pi}{4}##. I know that ##r## is bounded, but I am not sure if the temperature is periodic, ie, if ##\Theta(\theta + 2\pi) = \Theta(\theta)##. Where I'm stuck is I do not know how to incorporate the other boundary conditions into what I have, ie, what do I do with the pieces where ##u = 0## and ##u = 100##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before worrying about boundary conditions, can you develop the general solution?

Yes, I believe so. (That is for ##0 \le r \le a, 0 \le \theta \le 2\pi##, for some finite ##a##, right?)

The process to get to it is quite lengthy, but I can do it.

Well, then, once you have the general solution use the fact that [itex]u(r, 0)= u(r, \pi/4)= 0[/itex], for all r between a and b, to solve for two of the constants.

Related to What is the Steady State Temperature in a Circular Ring?

1. What is steady state temperature?

Steady state temperature refers to a state in which the temperature of a system remains constant over time. This means that the amount of heat entering the system is equal to the amount of heat leaving the system, resulting in a stable temperature.

2. How is steady state temperature different from equilibrium temperature?

Steady state temperature and equilibrium temperature are two different concepts. While steady state temperature refers to a constant temperature over time, equilibrium temperature refers to the temperature at which two objects in contact with each other reach a balance of heat exchange. In other words, steady state temperature is a state, while equilibrium temperature is a point.

3. What factors affect the attainment of steady state temperature?

Several factors can affect the attainment of steady state temperature, including the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the size and shape of the system, and the rate of heat generation or dissipation within the system.

4. Can steady state temperature be maintained indefinitely?

In theory, steady state temperature can be maintained indefinitely as long as the conditions that allow for it to be achieved remain constant. However, in practice, external factors such as changes in ambient temperature or fluctuations in heat generation can disrupt the steady state and cause the temperature to change.

5. How is steady state temperature measured and monitored?

Steady state temperature can be measured and monitored using various methods, such as thermocouples, infrared cameras, and thermal imaging techniques. These tools allow scientists to accurately measure the temperature of a system over time and make adjustments if necessary to maintain a steady state.