What is the Square Root Property in Mathematics?

In summary: I noticed that this concept of "zero raised to the zeroth power" is not something that is well-defined, even in the Real World. 0^0 is undefined for real numbers, but for complex numbers it can be written as:\frac{1}{i}\left| 0^0-1\right|which is always positive.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear everyone,

I have a question about a property of square root.
$${\frac{1}{x}\sqrt{x^2}}$$$\implies$ $\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{x^2}}$=$\left| 1 \right|$

Is that property of a square root? Since
$$\sqrt{x^2}$$= $\left| x \right|$.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Dear everyone,

$${\frac{1}{x}\sqrt{x^2}}$$$\implies$ $\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{x^2}}$=$\left| 1 \right|$

Is that property of a square root? Since
$$\sqrt{x^2}$$= $\left| x \right|$.

The question can be a little controversial...

a) You can consider the square root of a positive number as a one value function and in this case is $\displaystyle \sqrt{1} = 1$...

b) You can consider the square root of a positive number as a two values function and in this case is $\displaystyle \sqrt{1} = \pm 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I have often seen this treated as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}=\frac{|x|}{x}=\text{sgn}(x)\equiv\begin{cases}-1, & x<0 \\[3pt] 1, & 0<x \\ \end{cases}\)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I learned the convention that if you take the square root of a number then it's considered positive. But if you take the square root of a variable, then it's plus or minus.
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{4} = 2 \text{ and } \sqrt{x^2} = \pm x\).

Math conventions in Physics always get me into trouble. (Doh) I had an interview with a Professor from NCU and overheard a "discussion" between her and one of her grad students. It seems that she insisted that \(\displaystyle 0^0 = 1\) and was rather aggressive about it. So, of course, when I walked in for the interview I just had to ask if \(\displaystyle 0^0 = 1\) was a new convention as it should be undefined. (Wasntme) She made sure that I understood that she felt I needed "remedial Math" before I could work on a dissertation.

-Dan

Cbarker1 said:
Dear everyone,

Hi Cbarker1,

I'm afraid that it is not generally true.
$$\sqrt{\frac 1{x^2}} = \left|\frac 1 x\right|$$
This is not the same as $\frac 1 x$.

What you write is only true if it is given that $x \ge 0$.

topsquark said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I learned the convention that if you take the square root of a number then it's considered positive. But if you take the square root of a variable, then it's plus or minus.

Math conventions in Physics always get me into trouble. (Doh) I had an interview with a Professor from NCU and overheard a "discussion" between her and one of her grad students. It seems that she insisted that \(\displaystyle 0^0 = 1\) and was rather aggressive about it. So, of course, when I walked in for the interview I just had to ask if \(\displaystyle 0^0 = 1\) was a new convention as it should be undefined. (Wasntme) She made sure that I understood that she felt I needed "remedial Math" before I could work on a dissertation.

-Dan

It is my understanding that:

\(\displaystyle |x|\equiv\sqrt{x^2}\)

It is also my understanding that $0^0$ is indeterminate.

topsquark said:

From wikipedia:
Every non-negative real number a has a unique non-negative square root, called the principal square root, which is denoted by √a, where √ is called the radical sign or radix.

Is see no ambiguity.
The symbol √ represents the principal square root, which is by definition non-negative for real numbers.
topsquark said:
$0^0$ is more ambiguous.

It depends on the type of the exponent.
If the exponent is an integer, $0^0$ is usually defined as 1.

But if we're talking about continuous exponents, and if the form $0^0$ arises as a limit of $f(x)^{g(x)}$, it must be handled as an indeterminate form.

If not explicitly defined in the text, it could depend on the field you're working in.
Which field did the particular Professor work in?

If I confused any one, sorry. I picked out the certain step.
I am Deriving the cubic formula. I have trouble figuring out what how the Quadratic formula forms into the "R" and how the missing one half.

Here is the work shown:

$u^3-\frac{p^3}{27u^3}+q=0$
I multiply the 27u^3 both sides that yields
$27u^6-27u^3q+p^3=0$
divided by 27
$u^6-u^3q+\frac{p^3}{27}=0$
I use the Quadratic Formula:
$u^3=\frac{-q\pm\sqrt{(-q)^2+4(1)(\frac{p^3}{27}})}{2(1)}$
Therefore, $u^3=\frac{-q}{2}\pm\frac{\sqrt{\frac{27q^2+4p^3}{27}}}{2}$
If we let $R=\left(\frac{-q}{2}\right)^{\!{2}}+\left(\frac{p}{3}\right)^{\!{3}}$, then $u^3=\frac{-q}{2}\pm\sqrt{R}$.

Cbarker1 said:
Therefore, $u^3=\frac{-q}{2}\pm\frac{\sqrt{\frac{27q^2+4p^3}{27}}}{2}$
If we let $R=\left(\frac{-q}{2}\right)^{\!{2}}+\left(\frac{p}{3}\right)^{\!{3}}$, then $u^3=\frac{-q}{2}\pm\sqrt{R}$.

Since the denominator $2$ is positive, we can bring it into the square root without sign problems.
$$\frac{\sqrt{\frac{27q^2+4p^3}{27}}}{2}
=\sqrt{\frac{27q^2+4p^3}{2^2\cdot27}}
=\sqrt{\frac{q^2}{2^2}+\frac{p^3}{27}}
=\sqrt{\left(\!\frac{q}{2}\!\right)^{\!2}+\left(\!\frac{p}{3}\!\right)^{\!3}}
=\sqrt{\left(\!\frac{-q}{2}\!\right)^{\!2}+\left(\!\frac{p}{3}\!\right)^{\!3}}
$$

I like Serena said:
Which field did the particular Professor work in?
String Theory. From what I've studied about it I've never even seen 0^0 come up. Physicists are funny creatures...they define one thing in one paper and change it to suit their needs in the next. (I try hard not to be that bad. That's one of the reasons I try to take Math classes from a Math professor, not a Physics one.)

-Dan

Related to What is the Square Root Property in Mathematics?

What is "The Square root property"?

The Square root property is a mathematical concept used to solve equations involving square roots. It states that if a² = b, then a = √b or a = -√b.

How do you use "The Square root property" to solve equations?

To use The Square root property, you first need to isolate the term with the square root on one side of the equation. Then, you square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root. Finally, you solve for the variable using the square root of the remaining term.

Can "The Square root property" be used for all equations involving square roots?

No, The Square root property can only be used for equations where the variable is under a single square root. If there are multiple square roots or other terms present, a different method must be used to solve the equation.

What are some examples of equations that can be solved using "The Square root property"?

Some examples of equations that can be solved using The Square root property are: √x = 4, 2√x = 10, and x² = 9.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using "The Square root property"?

Yes, there are a few limitations and restrictions when using The Square root property. Firstly, the value under the square root must be greater than or equal to zero. Secondly, the equation must only contain one instance of the variable under the square root. Lastly, any terms that are not under a square root must be moved to the other side of the equation before using The Square root property.