What is the speed of the spaceship as measured by Joe?

In summary, the conversation discussed the measurement of the speed of a spaceship by two observers, Moe and Joe. Joe measured the length of the spaceship as 350m and the time it took to pass by as 0.700 μs. Using the equation for the relativity of length, they attempted to find the speed of the spaceship, but realized that they cannot use length and time measured in different reference frames. Finally, they used the concept of Lorentz contraction to find the speed of the spaceship as 0.988c or 2.994*10^8, which aligns with the expected speed of light.
SuperNova1

Homework Statement

Moe measure the length of his spaceship as 350 m. Joe observes this spaceship as it flies by his position and measures that it took 0.700 s to pass through. What is the speed of the spaceship?

l': the length of the spaceship as measured by MOE = 350m
t: the time as measured by JOE = .7 x10^-6

Homework Equations

i'm not positive on the equations obviously speed = distance/time won't work as joe will not measure the length of the spaceship the same as moe will
i found an equation on the relativity of length and how it changes in relation to the observer outside the moving object which was ... change in t1 = L'/(c-u)
but I'm not too sure whether it's anywhere close to the correct equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried distance/time 350/.7*10^-6 = 5*10^8 which can't be right for obvious reasons as the spaceship cannot travel faster than the speed of light
then i tried 0.7*10^-6 = 350/3*10^8 - u
350 = 0.7*10^-6(3*10^8 - u)
350/.7*10-6= 3*10^8 - u
5*10^8 - 3*10^8 = -u
u = -2*10^8
and this answer doesn't look good either
thank you to anyone who can help

Physics news on Phys.org

You appear to be using length as measured in one reference frame (Moe's) and time as measured in another (Joes's). You can't use those together.

What you can do, I think, is this- let v be Moe's speed relative to Joe. Then the length as measured in Joe's reference frame is [itex]350/\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}[/itex]. Now, you can say that "speed" is "distance divided y time"- [itex]v= 350/.7\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}= 500/\sqrt{1- v^2}[/itex] so that [itex]v\sqrt{1- v^/c^2}= 350[/itex]. Solve that for v.

HallsofIvy said:
You appear to be using length as measured in one reference frame (Moe's) and time as measured in another (Joes's). You can't use those together.

What you can do, I think, is this- let v be Moe's speed relative to Joe. Then the length as measured in Joe's reference frame is [itex]350/\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}[/itex]. Now, you can say that "speed" is "distance divided y time"- [itex]v= 350/.7\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}= 500/\sqrt{1- v^2}[/itex] so that [itex]v\sqrt{1- v^/c^2}= 350[/itex]. Solve that for v.

The spaceship from Joe's view contracts. You have it expanding. (Lorentz contraction).
Just multiply 350m by √(1 - v2/c2) instead of dividing.

So the idea is: compute the length of the spaceship as measured by Joe, divide by Joe's time, and that will give the (contracted) length as seen by Joe.

Thank you for all your help guys i did it again and got a value of 0.988c or 2.994*10^8 which sounds right to me as the lecturer told us it was close to the speed of light, thank you again

I would approach this problem by first considering the concept of relative velocity. This means that the speed of an object can be different depending on the observer's frame of reference. In this case, Moe and Joe have different frames of reference - Moe is on the spaceship and Joe is on the ground.

To determine the speed of the spaceship as measured by Joe, we can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time. However, since we are dealing with different frames of reference, we need to use the concept of time dilation and length contraction.

The equation you mentioned, t' = L'/(c-u), is correct. This is the equation for time dilation, where t' is the time measured by an observer in a different frame of reference, L' is the length of the object as measured by that observer, c is the speed of light, and u is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference.

In this case, we know that t = 0.7 x 10^-6 s and L' = 350 m. We also know that c = 3 x 10^8 m/s. So we can rearrange the equation to solve for u:

u = (L'/t') - c
= (350/0.7 x 10^-6) - 3 x 10^8
= 5 x 10^11 - 3 x 10^8
= 4.9997 x 10^11 m/s

This is the relative velocity between Moe and Joe's frames of reference. To find the speed of the spaceship as measured by Joe, we can simply subtract this velocity from the speed of light. So the speed of the spaceship as measured by Joe is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s.

It's important to note that this is just an approximation and may not be entirely accurate due to the limitations of the given information. However, it gives us a general idea of the spaceship's speed as measured by Joe.

Related to What is the speed of the spaceship as measured by Joe?

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It includes two main theories: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which deals with objects moving at varying speeds and in the presence of gravity.

2. How does relativity affect time and space?

Relativity states that time and space are not absolute, but are instead dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This means that an observer's perception of time and space can vary depending on their relative speed and position compared to another observer.

3. Can you give an example of how relativity works?

One famous example is the twin paradox, where one twin stays on Earth while the other travels in a high-speed rocket. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to time dilation caused by their high speed relative to each other.

4. How is relativity relevant in everyday life?

While the effects of relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, it is essential for modern technology. GPS systems, for example, rely on the principles of relativity to accurately calculate location and time.

5. How can I apply the principles of relativity to my homework question?

To apply the principles of relativity to your homework question, you will need to understand the concepts of time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use mathematical equations to visualize and solve the problem.