What is the solution to this vector geometry problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the median AD of triangle ABC is bisected at point E, where BE meets AC at F. The goal is to find the ratio AF:AC. The conversation includes attempts and solutions using vectors and analytic geometry, as well as a purely synthetic proof. The final solution involves constructing a line parallel to BF passing through D and using similarity to find the ratio.
Saitama
Problem:

The median AD of the $\Delta$ ABC is bisected at E. BE meets AC in F. Find AF:AC.

Attempt:

t4tmpv.png

Let point E divide BF in the ratio $\mu : 1$ and let F divide the line AC in the ratio $\lambda : 1$.

I take A as the origin. Then,

$$\vec{AD}=\frac{1}{2}(\vec{AB}+\vec{AC})$$
$$\vec{AF}=\frac{\lambda \vec{AC}}{\lambda+1}$$
$$\vec{AE}=\frac{\mu\vec{AF}+\vec{AB}}{\mu+1}$$
Also,
$$\vec{AE}=\frac{1}{2}\vec{AD}=\frac{1}{4}(\vec{AB}+\vec{AC})$$

I can substitute the above in the 3rd equation but I don't see what to do with $\vec{AB}$ as I have to find the ratio AF:AC.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:

The median AD of the $\Delta$ ABC is bisected at E. BE meets AC in F. Find AF:AC.

Attempt:

t4tmpv.png

Let point E divide BF in the ratio $\mu : 1$ and let F divide the line AC in the ratio $\lambda : 1$.

I take A as the origin. Then,

$\vec{AD}=\dfrac{1}{2}(\vec{AB}+\vec{AC})$

$\vec{AF}=\dfrac{\lambda \vec{AC}}{C+1}$ (1)

$\vec{AE}=\dfrac{\mu\vec{AF}+\vec{AB}}{\mu+1}$ (2)

Also,
$\vec{AE}=\dfrac{1}{2}\vec{AD}=\frac{1}{4}(\vec{AB}+\vec{AC})$ (3)

I can substitute the above in the 3rd equation but I don't see what to do with $\vec{AB}$ as I have to find the ratio AF:AC.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
You are on the right lines. Substitute the expression for $\vec{AF}$ from (1) into (2). Together with (3), that will give you two separate expressions for $\vec{AE}$ as a combination of $\vec{AB}$ and $\vec{AC}$. By comparing the coefficients of $\vec{AB}$ and $\vec{AC}$ in those two expressions, you will get two equations for $\lambda$ and $\mu$. Then once you know $\lambda$ you can find the ratio AF:AC.

Hi Opalg!

Opalg said:
You are on the right lines. Substitute the expression for $\vec{AF}$ from (1) into (2). Together with (3), that will give you two separate expressions for $\vec{AE}$ as a combination of $\vec{AB}$ and $\vec{AC}$. By comparing the coefficients of $\vec{AB}$ and $\vec{AC}$ in those two expressions, you will get two equations for $\lambda$ and $\mu$. Then once you know $\lambda$ you can find the ratio AF:AC.

Thanks a lot, I always forget about comparing the coefficients. Thank you very much. :)

I was wondering if there is a way to solve this problem without the use of vectors? If there is a way, can you please give me a few hints?

Many thanks!

Hi,
The attached solution just uses analytic geometry; it is in many respects similar to your vector solution, but it is different. I tried unsuccessfully to think of a synthetic solution.

View attachment 1745

Attachments

• MHBgeometry5.png
    MHBgeometry5.png
    11 KB · Views: 72
johng said:
Hi,
The attached solution just uses analytic geometry; it is in many respects similar to your vector solution, but it is different. I tried unsuccessfully to think of a synthetic solution.
<image>

Thanks johng for the alternative method. :)

HI again,
I guess I liked your problem. Attached is a "purely" synthetic proof of the result.

View attachment 1750

Attachments

• MHBgeometry5b.png
    MHBgeometry5b.png
    15 KB · Views: 60
johng said:
HI again,
I guess I liked your problem. Attached is a "purely" synthetic proof of the result.
<image>

Awesome! I could never really think of it. Thanks a lot johng. :)

Can you please share some motivation behind the construction? I am really interested to know how you approach such problems. Thanks!

Hi Pranav,

I like geometry a lot, but I'm not very good at it. So my thoughts probably aren't worth much.

I knew the answer for the unknown point. So it occurred to me that maybe it's the centroid of some triangle. I started casting about for such a triangle. Pretty soon the construction became apparent. Not much help, I bet.

Thanks for your kind words.

Pranav said:
Hi Opalg!
Thanks a lot, I always forget about comparing the coefficients. Thank you very much. :)

I was wondering if there is a way to solve this problem without the use of vectors? If there is a way, can you please give me a few hints?

Many thanks!
Hey.

Construct a line $l$ passing through point $D$ and parallel to $BF$, and say this line intersects $AC$ at $M$.

Argue that $M$ is the mid-point of $FC$. This gives $AF/FM=2\lambda$

Also, by similarity of $\Delta AEF$ and $\Delta ADM$, we have, $1=AE/ED=AF/FM=2 \lambda$.

Last edited:
CaffeineMachine, very nice simple proof. I modified your proof slightly to give the attached generalization. I had reached this generalization previously with my more complicated solution, but it got kind of messy.

View attachment 1756

Attachments

• MHBgeometry5c.png
    MHBgeometry5c.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 52
johng said:
CaffeineMachine, very nice simple proof. I modified your proof slightly to give the attached generalization. I had reached this generalization previously with my more complicated solution, but it got kind of messy.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1756
Thanks. :)
What software do you use to make these diagrams?

I am really sorry, I saw the posts but forgot to reply. :(

Great and short method caffeinemachine, I really like it, thanks! :)

And nice generalisation johng, thanks a lot for the help. :)

Related to What is the solution to this vector geometry problem?

What is vector geometry?

Vector geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the representation and manipulation of vectors in a geometric context. It is used to solve problems involving magnitude, direction, and position of objects in space.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction in space. Vectors are used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you need to use the parallelogram law. This involves placing the vectors head to tail and drawing a parallelogram with the vectors as adjacent sides. The resultant vector is then the diagonal of the parallelogram drawn from the common starting point of the vectors.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar (a number) as a result. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and then multiplying it by the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product is used for calculating work, projections, and angles between vectors.

How can vector geometry be applied in real life?

Vector geometry has various applications in everyday life, such as in navigation, physics, and engineering. It is used to determine the shortest distance between two points, the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object, and to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects.