What is the size and direction of the force on each segment in this gif?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the size and direction of the force on each segment of an electric circuit in a uniform magnetic field. The size of the force is determined by multiplying the magnitude of the magnetic field by the sine of the angle between the electricity and magnetic field. However, it is noted that the diagonal length of the segment is not 40, so the calculation may be incorrect.
krot
i need to figure out the size and direction of the force on each segment

http://i32.tinypic.com/1075g8g.gif

in cd segment there is a 45 degree between the electricity and magnetic field
so i need to have size 40*sin 45

why they write only 40
??

Physics news on Phys.org
am i correct?

Welcome to PF!

Hi krot! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Your picture shows a cube with an electric circuit along adjacent j and k edges, and returning along ij and ik face-diagonals, with a uniform magnetic field in the j direction.
krot said:
in cd segment there is a 45 degree between the electricity and magnetic field
so i need to have size 40*sin 45

why they write only 40
??

you would only need 40sin45º if the diagonal was 40 …

it isn't! :smile:

krot's been caught. He's a previously banned member.

Related to What is the size and direction of the force on each segment in this gif?

1. What is the definition of the cube cross product?

The cube cross product is a mathematical operation that combines two cube vectors to produce a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

2. How is the cube cross product calculated?

The cube cross product is calculated by taking the cross product of each corresponding pair of components from the two cube vectors and combining them into a new vector. For example, the x component of the new vector would be the cross product of the x components of the two original vectors.

3. What is the significance of the cube cross product?

The cube cross product is significant in mathematics and physics because it allows us to determine the direction of a new vector based on the direction of two existing vectors. It is also used in 3D graphics and computer programming for transformations and rotations.

4. Can the cube cross product be calculated for non-cube vectors?

No, the cube cross product is only defined for cube vectors, which have three components (x, y, z). Other types of vectors, such as 2D vectors or higher dimensional vectors, have different methods of calculating the cross product.

5. Are there any special properties of the cube cross product?

Yes, the cube cross product has several properties that make it useful in mathematical and physical applications. These include the fact that the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors, and that the cross product is anti-commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not change the result.