What is the simplification of the second order Taylor expansion for F(x+h)?

In summary, for a twice continuously differentiable function F on (a,b), it can be shown that F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + (h^2)/2 F''(x) + h^2 \varphi(h), where \varphi(h) \to 0 as h \to 0. This can be proven by using the Taylor's theorem with integral remainder formula, and by defining \varphi(h) as the difference between the difference quotient and the derivative, and then showing that this goes to zero as h \to 0. However, it is also possible to define \varphi(h) in terms of the integral of \psi, where \psi is
AxiomOfChoice

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]F[/itex] is twice continuously differentiable on [itex](a,b)[/itex], then one can write

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + h^2 \varphi(h),
[/tex]

where [itex]\varphi(h) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]h\to 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm posting this here because it's a problem in Stein-Shakarchi's "Fourier Analysis". I'm working through this book on my own (so this problem is not homework), but I thought it'd look suspicious if I posted it in the regular forums.

I believe I've managed to show that

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + \int_0^h w \psi(w) dw,
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\psi(h) = \frac{F'(x+h) - F'(x)}{h} - F''(x),
[/tex]

but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about showing that

[tex]
\int_0^h w \psi(w) dw = h^2 \varphi(h).
[/tex]

What do you think the [itex]\varphi(h)[/itex] they're wanting here is?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]F[/itex] is twice continuously differentiable on [itex](a,b)[/itex], then one can write

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm posting this here because it's a problem in Stein-Shakarchi's "Fourier Analysis". I'm working through this book on my own (so this problem is not homework), but I thought it'd look suspicious if I posted it in the regular forums.

[tex]
[/tex]

where

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

I am guessing [itex]\varphi(h)[/itex] are the higher order terms from the expansion. However, I have never seen it written as [itex]h^2\varphi(h)[/itex] but instead as [itex]\mathit{O}(h^2)[/itex].

AxiomOfChoice said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]

where

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

The results you seek are proved in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem . Google is your friend.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The results you seek are proved in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem . Google is your friend.

RGV
Well, after having consulted that website and changing variables a little bit in the "Taylor's theorem with integral remainder" formula, I've got that

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + \frac 12 \int_x^{x+h} (x+h-t)^2 F'''(t) dt.
[/tex]

This is problematic for two reasons: First, in the problem I'm trying to solve, I know only that [itex]F[/itex] is [itex]C^2[/itex], so I'm not even sure [itex]F'''(t)[/itex] makes sense. Second of all, I'm not sure how one can finagle the formula I quoted to somehow turn [itex]\psi(t)[/itex] into [itex]F'''(t)[/itex]; I simply don't see how this is possible. Can someone provide some hints? Perhaps I'm on the wrong track with what I was trying to do, but I can't see how else one can conveniently define the function [itex]\psi[/itex]. Defining it to be the difference between the difference quotient and the derivative just seems so obvious...

AxiomOfChoice said:
Well, after having consulted that website and changing variables a little bit in the "Taylor's theorem with integral remainder" formula, I've got that

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + \frac 12 \int_x^{x+h} (x+h-t)^2 F'''(t) dt.
[/tex]

This is problematic for two reasons: First, in the problem I'm trying to solve, I know only that [itex]F[/itex] is [itex]C^2[/itex], so I'm not even sure [itex]F'''(t)[/itex] makes sense. Second of all, I'm not sure how one can finagle the formula I quoted to somehow turn [itex]\psi(t)[/itex] into [itex]F'''(t)[/itex]; I simply don't see how this is possible. Can someone provide some hints? Perhaps I'm on the wrong track with what I was trying to do, but I can't see how else one can conveniently define the function [itex]\psi[/itex]. Defining it to be the difference between the difference quotient and the derivative just seems so obvious...

You have gone one term too far: you don't know anything about F'''(t) because all you assumed was "twice continuously differentiable". Instead, try
[tex] F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \int_{x}^{x+h} (x+h-t)F''(t) dt, [/tex]
or
[tex] F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{1}{2} h^2 F''(x + \theta h), \; (0 < \theta < 1). [/tex]

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You have gone one term too far: you don't know anything about F'''(t) because all you assumed was "twice continuously differentiable". Instead, try
[tex] F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \int_{x}^{x+h} (x+h-t)F''(t) dt, [/tex]
or
[tex] F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{1}{2} h^2 F''(x + \theta h), \; (0 < \theta < 1). [/tex]

RGV
Thanks very much, again, for your help. I've managed to verify that both of the following are true:

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \int_x^{x+h} (x+h - t)F''(t)dt
[/tex]

and

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + \frac 12 \int_x^{x+h} (x+h - t)^2F'''(t)dt.
[/tex]

All one needs to do is perform the integrals and write them out, and then everything cancels on the righthand side to just leave you with the equation [itex]F(x+h) = F(x+h)[/itex].

I guess what confuses me is the form the authors of the text want you to supply. They want you to show that

[tex]
[/tex]

where [itex]\varphi(h) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]h \to 0[/itex]. But what I have above for [itex]\varphi(h)[/itex] is, by monotonicity of the integral,

[tex]
\int_0^h t \psi(t) dt \leq \int_0^h |t| |\psi(t)| dt \leq h^2 \sup_{t\in [0,h]} \psi(t).
[/tex]

...and this goes to zero as [itex]h\to 0[/itex]! So why is it necessary to just throw in an extra [itex]h^2[/itex] like they want? IS it necessary?

Last edited:
AxiomOfChoice said:
Thanks very much, again, for your help. I've managed to verify that both of the following are true:

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \int_x^{x+h} (x+h - t)F''(t)dt
[/tex]

and

[tex]
F(x+h) = F(x) + h F'(x) + \frac{h^2}{2} F''(x) + \frac 12 \int_x^{x+h} (x+h - t)^2F'''(t)dt.
[/tex]

All one needs to do is perform the integrals and write them out, and then everything cancels on the righthand side to just leave you with the equation [itex]F(x+h) = F(x+h)[/itex].

I guess what confuses me is the form the authors of the text want you to supply. They want you to show that

[tex]
[/tex]

where [itex]\varphi(h) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]h \to 0[/itex]. But what I have above for [itex]\varphi(h)[/itex] is, by monotonicity of the integral,

[tex]
\int_0^h t \psi(t) dt \leq \int_0^h |t| |\psi(t)| dt \leq h^2 \sup_{t\in [0,h]} \psi(t).
[/tex]

...and this goes to zero as [itex]h\to 0[/itex]! So why is it necessary to just throw in an extra [itex]h^2[/itex] like they want? IS it necessary?

If you take the [itex](h^2/2)F''(x + \theta h)[/itex] form, and use continuity of F'' you get [itex](h^2/2)F''(x) + r(h),[/itex] where r(h) goes to zero faster than h^2. (In fact, [itex] r(h) = (h^2/2)[F''(x + \theta h) - F''(x)][/itex] does have the form [itex]h^2 \varphi(h), [/itex] where [itex] \varphi(h) \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as h --> 0.) I think that is all that is involved.

RGV

Related to What is the simplification of the second order Taylor expansion for F(x+h)?

What is a second order Taylor expansion?

A second order Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique for approximating a function using a polynomial. It is based on the idea that a function can be represented by a series of terms, where each term is a power of the independent variable.

How is a second order Taylor expansion calculated?

A second order Taylor expansion is calculated by taking the first and second derivatives of a function at a given point, and using those values to construct a polynomial. This polynomial is then used to approximate the function around that point.

What is the purpose of a second order Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a second order Taylor expansion is to provide a close approximation of a function near a specific point. It can be used to estimate the value of a function at a point where the function is difficult to evaluate directly, or to analyze the behavior of a function near a particular point.

What is the difference between a first and second order Taylor expansion?

A first order Taylor expansion uses only the first derivative of a function to create a linear approximation, while a second order Taylor expansion uses both the first and second derivatives to create a quadratic approximation. This means that a second order Taylor expansion will generally provide a more accurate approximation than a first order one.

Where is a second order Taylor expansion commonly used?

A second order Taylor expansion is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems and make predictions. It is also used in numerical analysis and optimization algorithms to approximate functions and find optimal solutions.