What is the significance of the recent LIGO result and its impact on textbooks?

In summary: An example of a text that discusses these observations is Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry 2nd ed chap 7. Carroll also discusses gravitational wave observations in that chapter, so can serve as an example of a text that would need to be updated in light of GW150914.In summary, the recent LIGO result provides strong evidence for the existence of black holes and supports the prediction that gravitational waves travel at the speed of light. This finding will likely lead to updates in textbooks on general relativity, as well as special relativity, as it provides a concrete example of something massless other than light. Previous observations did not probe radii close to the Schwarzschild radius, but the aLIGO event does, and it
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The recent LIGO result seems likely to lead to a lot of rewriting of textbooks. Some topics that occur to me:

(1) Obviously it needs to be discussed in any GR textbook's discussion of gravitational waves.

(2) The fact that the waveform matches so well with GR calculations seems to be extremely strong evidence that black holes do exist and that they have the properties described in quantitative detail by GR. Previously, I don't think we had any observations that really probed radii close to the Schwarzschild radius. Now, I don't think there's much room left for theories in which runaway gravitational collapse stops short of the Schwarzschild radius. Also, this is a spectacular test of the Einstein field equations for very strong gravitational fields.

(3) For many decades, the better textbook treatments of SR have been trying to convince students that c is not to be interpreted as the speed of light. We've been able to say that c is a space-to-time conversion factor, or a universal speed limit, or the speed at which massless things travel. But until now, we didn't have a really good example, other than light, of something massless. Gluons aren't observed as free particles, and neutrinos turn out not to be massless. The aLIGO event makes gravitational waves into an excellent concrete example, and it also does support the prediction that gravitational waves travel at c. (The time delay is on the right order of magnitude, it has a statistically likely value, and it was not greater than the maximum allowed by GR. Also, the paper gives very tight limits on dispersion.)

Likes martinbn
Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
Previously, I don't think we had any observations that really probed radii close to the Schwarzschild radius.

Orbits near galactic SMBH's.

Likes e.bar.goum
Vanadium 50 said:

These are outside the stable orbit limit, which is 3 times the Schwarzschild radius, aren't they? That's certainly close compared to what we can observe in the solar system, but it's only of the same order of closeness as, for example, the surface of a neutron star, which still isn't very close in terms of things like the time dilation factor. (The time dilation factor for an object in a circular orbit at 3 times the Schwarzschild radius is only ##1 / \sqrt{2} \approx 0.7##.)

I think bcrowell is referring to observations much closer than that, close enough, for example, to be inside the Buchdahl theorem limit for an object that can be in static equilibrium, which is 9/8 of the Schwarzschild radius. I don't know of any other observations that come anywhere close to that regime.

PeterDonis said:
These are outside the stable orbit limit, which is 3 times the Schwarzschild radius, aren't they? That's certainly close compared to what we can observe in the solar system, but it's only of the same order of closeness as, for example, the surface of a neutron star, which still isn't very close in terms of things like the time dilation factor. (The time dilation factor for an object in a circular orbit at 3 times the Schwarzschild radius is only ##1 / \sqrt{2} \approx 0.7##.)

I think bcrowell is referring to observations much closer than that, close enough, for example, to be inside the Buchdahl theorem limit for an object that can be in static equilibrium, which is 9/8 of the Schwarzschild radius. I don't know of any other observations that come anywhere close to that regime.
What about horizon imaging observations, and BH surface detection observations, which more and more rule out anything other than a horizon (macroscopically)? These have been posted several times here, so unless requested, I am not bothering to locate them right now.

PAllen said:
What about horizon imaging observations, and BH surface detection observations, which more and more rule out anything other than a horizon (macroscopically)?

Hm, you're right, those are probing at least near to the Buchdahl limit if not inside it.

Vanadium 50 said:

Objects like the star S2 and the gas cloud G2 are still thousands of Schwarzschild radii from Sag A* at periastron. The aLIGO waveform probes the physics all the way down to the Schwarzschild radius.

PAllen said:
What about horizon imaging observations, and BH surface detection observations, which more and more rule out anything other than a horizon (macroscopically)? These have been posted several times here, so unless requested, I am not bothering to locate them right now.

My knowledge may be out of date, but the last I heard these observations had not succeeded in resolving the event horizon. I thought they were still an order of magnitude away from the Schwarzschild radius, although there were proposals to image the event horizon itself in the near future. Maybe the near future already happened while I wasn't looking...?

bcrowell said:
My knowledge may be out of date, but the last I heard these observations had not succeeded in resolving the event horizon. I thought they were still an order of magnitude away from the Schwarzschild radius, although there were proposals to image the event horizon itself in the near future. Maybe the near future already happened while I wasn't looking...?
It is true that published Event Horizon Telescope results have not yet reached the horizon, but it is supposedly coming soon (a couple of years). This seems to be the among the most recent results from this collaboration:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.01220

However, I was mostly referring to the research program of the following, which have been linked here several times by Pervect:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0203089
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0204080
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0012452
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107387

Last edited:
Likes bcrowell

Related to What is the significance of the recent LIGO result and its impact on textbooks?

What is LIGO and why is it significant?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. It is a large-scale scientific experiment that aims to detect and study gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. Its significance lies in the fact that it provides direct evidence for the existence of gravitational waves and opens up a new window for observing the universe.

How does LIGO work?

LIGO consists of two identical detectors located in different parts of the United States. Each detector has two 4-kilometer-long arms arranged in an L-shape. A laser beam is split and sent down each arm, and the light waves are reflected back to a detector. When a gravitational wave passes through the detectors, it causes slight changes in the length of the arms, which can be detected by the interference pattern of the returning laser beams.

What has LIGO discovered so far?

LIGO has made several groundbreaking discoveries since it began operations in 2015. The most notable one was the detection of gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes, which confirmed a major prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity. LIGO has also observed gravitational waves from the merger of two neutron stars and has detected multiple events of gravitational waves from black hole mergers.

How does LIGO compare to other methods of studying the universe?

LIGO is a complementary tool to other methods of studying the universe, such as telescopes that observe electromagnetic radiation. Gravitational waves can provide unique insights into the universe, such as the study of black holes and the early universe. LIGO can also be used in conjunction with other telescopes to study cosmic events, providing a more complete understanding of the universe.

What are the future plans for LIGO?

LIGO is currently undergoing upgrades to improve its sensitivity and detection capabilities. In the future, there are plans to build more advanced detectors, such as the Einstein Telescope, which will be able to detect gravitational waves from even more distant and powerful cosmic events. LIGO will continue to play a crucial role in unlocking the mysteries of the universe and rewriting the textbooks of physics.