What is the significance of normalising wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation involving the normalization of a wavefunction. The first step is starred and the person is unsure how to determine if the function is even. They also question why -2lambda appears in the denominator and what the derivation is trying to show in the final step. The expert explains that an even function satisfies f(x) = f(-x) and that -2lambda is a result of basic integration. They also clarify that the normalization constant is taken to be real by convention and that any complex A satisfying |A|^2 = lambda could be used. The person then realizes that the function is even and questions why the absolute value sign appears in the wavefunction. The expert explains that this is a common occurrence in
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

I am struggling to understand all the steps in a derivation involving a normalisation of a particular wavefunction. I get most of the steps. I have attached the derivation and put a star next to the steps I don't fully understand.

Homework Equations

Listed on attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first step I have starred, I get that the integral from - to + infinity for an even function is twice the integral from 0 to infinity but how do you know that this is an even function in the example?
For the next bit why does -2lambda appear on the denominator?
I don't get what the derivation is getting at in the final step - how do they know that A is real? and why do they write A*A - is it because the absolute square of A is A multiplied by its complex conjugate which in this case is 1 (as it disappears in the 4th step) so therefore you know A is real?

Thanks for any help offered!

Attachments

• Normalisation of Wavefunctions.docx
    89.9 KB · Views: 164
Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily check that e^-2lambda |x| is an even function.

Jimmy87 said:
For the first step I have starred, I get that the integral from - to + infinity for an even function is twice the integral from 0 to infinity but how do you know that this is an even function in the example?
An even function satisfies f(x) = f(-x) for all x. Check if the wave function has this property.

For the next bit why does -2lambda appear on the denominator?
Have you taken calculus yet? This is basic integration. You should be able to figure it out yourself.

I don't get what the derivation is getting at in the final step - how do they know that A is real? and why do they write A*A - is it because the absolute square of A is A multiplied by its complex conjugate which in this case is 1 (as it disappears in the 4th step) so therefore you know A is real?
The normalization constant is taken to be real by convention. You could, in fact, use any complex ##A## that satisfies ##\lvert A \rvert ^2 = \lambda##, but why make things more complicated than necessary?

vela said:
An even function satisfies f(x) = f(-x) for all x. Check if the wave function has this property.Have you taken calculus yet? This is basic integration. You should be able to figure it out yourself.The normalization constant is taken to be real by convention. You could, in fact, use any complex ##A## that satisfies ##\lvert A \rvert ^2 = \lambda##, but why make things more complicated than necessary?

Thanks for your help. For the first point, I am not sure how you would check this in this case? For the 2nd point that is me being really stupid, that is just a simple integration of an exponential - I get that. What do you mean by your final point - what other complex A could satisfy the norm squared of A?

I think I get the first point now. If I insert (-x) into the function then the whole function doesn't change sign so its even. I still don't get the last few steps though. I don't know what they are trying to show when they write A*A = lambda therefore A^2 = lambda?

Wait I'm confused with part 1 again - if there was no absolute value brackets around the x then am I right in saying that this would be an odd integrand? Why does the x have an absolute value sign? Does this always appear in wavefunctions?

Related to What is the significance of normalising wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

1. What is the purpose of normalising wavefunctions?

The purpose of normalising wavefunctions is to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in a given system is equal to 1. This is necessary for the wavefunction to accurately describe the behavior of a particle.

2. How is a wavefunction normalised?

A wavefunction is normalised by dividing it by the square root of the integral of its absolute value squared over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in the system is equal to 1.

3. Why is it important to normalise wavefunctions?

Normalising wavefunctions is important because it allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of particles in a given system. Without normalisation, the total probability of finding a particle may not be equal to 1, leading to incorrect predictions.

4. Can wavefunctions be normalised to values other than 1?

No, wavefunctions must be normalised to a value of 1 in order to accurately describe the behavior of particles in a given system. Normalising to any other value would result in incorrect predictions and violate the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What happens if a wavefunction is not normalised?

If a wavefunction is not normalised, the total probability of finding a particle in the system will not be equal to 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions and violate the principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, normalisation is a fundamental requirement for wavefunctions to accurately describe the behavior of particles.