What is the significance of h in relation to finding the distance AB?

In summary, "acceleration of the truck relative to the crate" means the difference between the acceleration of the truck and the acceleration of the crate. To solve this, you can use this information to figure out what steps to take. As for the second question, the value h represents the height of the bottom end of the ramp above the surface of the slope below it, and is relevant in finding the distance AB.
princejan7

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/bh4tzmd4l/

Can someone explain to me what "acceleration of the truck relative to the crate means"?

What should I do first in trying to solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/bh4tzmd4l/

Can someone explain to me what "acceleration of the truck relative to the crate means"?

What should I do first in trying to solve this?
It means the difference between the acceleration of the truck and the acceleration of the crate. From that, I think you can figure out what you have to do in order to start.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
It means the difference between the acceleration of the truck and the acceleration of the crate. From that, I think you can figure out what you have to do in order to start.

AM

thanks, I have another question

http://postimg.org/image/81muw26tl/

I don't understand what the value h is in this question and how its relevant to finding the distance AB

princejan7 said:
thanks, I have another question

http://postimg.org/image/81muw26tl/

I don't understand what the value h is in this question and how its relevant to finding the distance AB
You are to take h as the height of the bottom end of the ramp above the surface of the slope immediately below it. The slope continues down at angle beta from there.

The letter h in this problem represents the height of the crate above the ground. This is significant because it is a key factor in determining the distance AB, which is the horizontal distance between the truck and the crate. The height of the crate will affect the angle at which it is launched and therefore the distance it will travel horizontally.

As for the acceleration of the truck relative to the crate, this refers to the change in the truck's velocity compared to the crate's velocity. In this problem, the truck is accelerating at a constant rate, which means its velocity is changing over time. The crate, on the other hand, is not accelerating and therefore its velocity remains constant. This information can be used to calculate the time it takes for the crate to reach point B.

To solve this problem, you should first identify the known variables and the unknown variable. In this case, the known variables are the height of the crate (h), the acceleration of the truck (a), and the initial velocity of the truck (v0). The unknown variable is the distance AB. From there, you can use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all the known and unknown variables to visualize the problem.

Related to What is the significance of h in relation to finding the distance AB?

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions.

2. How is 2D kinematics different from 1D kinematics?

2D kinematics differs from 1D kinematics in that it takes into account the motion of an object in two perpendicular directions, rather than just one. This means that in 2D kinematics, there are two sets of equations and variables to consider.

3. What are the three main equations used in 2D kinematics?

The three main equations used in 2D kinematics are the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations involve the variables of time, initial velocity, final velocity, displacement, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.

4. How can 2D kinematics be applied in real life?

2D kinematics can be applied in real life in a variety of ways, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the motion of objects in sports, or analyzing the motion of vehicles in traffic. It is also used in engineering and robotics to design and control the movement of machines and devices.

5. What are some common misconceptions about 2D kinematics?

One common misconception about 2D kinematics is that the x and y directions are always perpendicular. In reality, they can be at any angle to each other. Another misconception is that objects in 2D motion always follow a parabolic path, when in fact they can follow a variety of paths depending on the forces acting on them.