What is the significance of diagonalizing the matrix in an LC-circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a state transition function for a matrix with n different eigenvalues and n corresponding eigenvectors. The experts suggest that using the "natural" state variables, which can be achieved through matrix diagonalization, is better. However, finding the corresponding eigenvectors can be challenging, as shown by the example of a state transition function for an LC circuit. The conversation also touches on the concept of complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how they come in pairs. Finally, it is observed that the resulting diagonalized system may appear more complex, but it simplifies the system's behavior.
valjok
I read that n different eigenvalue matrix has always n eigenvectors. But I cannot find any.

Here is the state transition function, A:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\dot{I}\\ \dot{U}\end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1/L\\ 1/C&0\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}{I}\\ {U}\end{array}\right][/tex]

The state variables, I and U are inductor current and capacitor voltage correspondingly. They oscillate. As you see, the matrix is anti-diagonal. The experts say that the "natural" state variables are better, which implies the matrix diagonalization. The diagonal elements are the same eigenvalues, the roots of

[tex]det(sE-A)= \left|\begin{array}{cc}s&+1/L\\ -1/C&s\end{array}\right| = s^2 + \frac1{LC} = 0[/tex]

They turned out to be λ1,2= ±i/√LC. The trouble starts finding the corresponding eigenvectors. Let's take first eigenvalue i/√LC.

[tex]\lambda x = Ax[/tex]

which is

[tex]\frac i{\sqrt{LC}} \left[\begin{array}{cc}{x_1}\\ {x_2}\end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1/L\\ 1/C&0\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}{x_1}\\ {x_2}\end{array}\right][/tex]

which is equivalent to

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}i x_1/\sqrt{LC} = -x_2/L \\ i x_2 / \sqrt{LC} = x_1/C\end{array}[/tex].

Expressing [tex]x_2 = -i x_1 \sqrt{L/C}[/tex], which looks promising since variables seem to be derivatives of each other, we get

[tex] x_1/C = i x_2 / \sqrt{LC} = i (-i x_1 \sqrt{L/C})/ \sqrt{LC} = x_1 / C[/tex]

or

1 = 1 which is a tautology.

The same result can be achieved more easily, avoiding the eigenvalues computation, by

[tex]\lambda \left[\begin{array}{cc}{I}\\ {U}\end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1/L\\ 1/C&0\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}{I}\\ {U}\end{array}\right][/tex]

(I look for the eigenvectors)

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{ll} \lambda I = -U/L \\ \lambda U = I/C = -U/LC\end{array}[/tex]

which also results in complete cancellation of U:

λ= -1/LC.

What does it mean? The diagonal matrix implies that the state variables are independent - they accumulate something by self-feedback only. I would like to see how it is possible in oscillator, which variables must ping-pong the energy periodically and one determines the speed of change of another.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done is to show that the eigenvector is logically consistent. What you needed to do is find the homogeneous solution to the equation [tex](A - \lambda I)x = 0[/tex]

ix1/√LC=-x2/L and ix2/√LC=x1/C
correspond to the same eigenvalue, thus they are the same set of eigenvectors, which is why you got a tautology. Complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors come in pairs; if you have a complex eigenvector as a solution, then its complex conjugate is also a solution (which corresponds to the other eigenvalue). So since you have x2=-ix1 √(L/C), the other eigenvector is x2=ix1 √(L/C).

zomgineer,

How the λx = Ax that I did is different from (A-λI)x = 0? The x will cancel out in the same manner:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\lambda&1/L\\ -1/C&\lambda\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}x_1\\x_2\end{array}\right] = 0[/tex]

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{ll}\lambda\ x_1 + x_2 / L = 0 (1)\\ -x_1/C + \lambda x_2 = 0 (2)\end{array}[/tex]

You've seen what follows: x1 = Cλx2 (from second equation) and, substituting into the first, Cλ²x2 = -x2/L or λ² = -1/LC. I can now find the eigenvalues again, as expected. If I use one of them instead of λ, the tautology, 1=1, will result again. I'm going loops. It is incredible how people manage to find both x and λ from a single equation!

Secondly, I do not understand the need for highlighting the homogeneity in the case of zero-input system, which cannot have other solutions, IMO. Didn't you miss the door?

JT,

the tautology seems to be not because of complex conjugate, rather, because one of the vector components is a free variable. In your examples, it is x1.

Indeed, [λI-A] must be singular, that is, its rank < 2, because its determinant is zero by definition. Thus, at least one component of the vector must be free! I have checked, both equations, (1) and (2), provided λ = i/√LC, result in same solution for λ1: x2=ix1 √(L/C). It is true for λ2 as well. The tautology is because of this equation redundancy.

Notably, all the received responses do not point this key fact out. Not even that I make a mistake when state that it means exactly n eigenvectors. My book only says that all-eigenvalues-different case makes this method of denationalization possible. It also especially points out that a whole line of vectors is possible for a given eigenvalue. That is, if X is an eigenvector, then cX is too. The free component is chosen arbitrarly.

So, the eigenvectors are

[tex]x1\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 \\ -i\sqrt{L/C} \end{array}\right] [/tex]
and
[tex]x1\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 \\ i\sqrt{L/C} \end{array}\right],[/tex]
where it is reasonable to fix x1=1.

Another curious point is that the resulting diagonalized system looks more complex than the anti-diagonal. Let me first produce the forced LC-circuit. I add the input Uin through the input matrix B to the state equation, x' = Ax + Buin:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\dot{i}\\ \dot{u} \end{array}\right]

= \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1/L\\ 1/C&0\end{array}\right]

\left[\begin{array}{cc}{i}\\ {u}\end{array}\right]

+ \left[\begin{array}{cc}1/L\\ 0\end{array}\right] u_{in}

\end{array}
[/tex]

and output function, Y = Сx, to the system: Y = [0 1] X. That is, the state variable u is the output. This corresponds to the schematic (the input Uin was zero in my request)

LC.png

Uin voltage is applied to LC and capacitor voltage is measured. Here is the graph

original graph.png

Now, collecting the eigenvectors into a matrix T,

[tex] T = \left[\begin{array}{cc}i \sqrt{C\over L} & 1\\ 1 & i \sqrt{L \over C} \end{array}\right] [/tex] and its inverse, [tex] T^{-1} = -1/2 \left[\begin{array}{cc}i \sqrt{L\over C} & -1\\ -1 & i \sqrt{C \over L} \end{array}\right] [/tex]

we can build the diagonalized system upon the natural state vector, Z(t) = T-1 X(t). The general form is

Z'(t) = T-1 A T Z(t)+ T-1BUin(t) = ΛZ(t) + ßUin(t)
Y(y) = CTZ(t) = ĈZ(t).

and, in case of examined LC:

[tex] \left[\begin{array}{cc}\dot{z_1} \\ \dot{z_2} \end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{cc}i / \sqrt{LC} & 0\\ 0 & -i / \sqrt{LC} \end{array}\right]
+ \left[\begin{array}{cc}i / \sqrt{LC} \\ -1/L \end{array}\right] u_{in} \end{array}\right]

u = \left[\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \end{array}\right] T Z = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & i\sqrt{L\over C}\end{array}\right] Z,
[/tex]

which can be represeted by a graph:
natural graph.png

You see,
  1. there are more links (one connects input to the second state variable and another adds the second state to the output) and
  2. the links became complex
which is why the simple diagonal system looks much more complex!

JT, excuse me for overlooking your first point. The tautology because of "the same set of eigenvectors" is exactly the answer to my trouble. If you could understand my reply, I have realized what you wanted to say and called it "a line of vectors". Now I understand that from Ax = λx follows that A(cx) = cAx = cλx = λ(cx), which means that operator scales both eigenvector X any vector on the same line, cX, by the same factor. For this reason, cX can also serve as an eigenvector. That is why the line or set of eigenvectors. This explanation is closer to the definition of eigenvector than the singularity of λI-A in solving [λI-A]x = 0.

I have got to know that set or line of eigenvectors is called an eigenline and λ is its scaling factor.

Last edited:
In specific applications, that is true.

We can think of a matrix, applied to a vector in [itex]R^2[/itex] or [itex]R^3[/itex] as mapping the point p (thinking of the vector as having it "base" at the origin and its point at p) to another point p'. Yes, if p is an eigenvector, then [itex]Ap= \lambda p[/itex]. Further, any point on the line through the origin and p can be written as [itex]\mu p[/itex] for some number [itex]\mu[/itex]. Then [itex]A(\mu p)= \mu Ap= \mu\lambda p[/itex], again a point on that line. That is, lines in the directions of the eigenvectors are mapped to themselves, "stretched" by a factor of \(\displaystyle \lambda[/itex] ("compressed" by that factor if [itex]0< \lambda< 1[/itex]. (If [itex]\lambda< 0[/itex] the line is also "swapped end for end". If [itex]\lambda= 0[/itex] the entire line is collapsed down to the origin.)
is mapped again to that line.\)

> In specific applications, that is true.

Wikipedia says that the concept of eigenline is true for all systems. How does your elaboration, that repeats mine of Aug21-10 10:09 AM, demarcate the "specific applications" from the most cases where "it is not true"?

it is a sort of Rotation

Accidetntally, I have noticed that the original system

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1/L\\ 1/C&0\end{array}\right][/tex]

is a 90° rotation operator if L=C=1. It translates [x,y] into [-y,x]:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\ 1&0\end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{c}x\\y\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{c}-y\\x\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

The eigenvector and diagonal matrices are

[tex]
\left[\begin{array}{cc}i&1\\1&i\end{array}\right]
[/tex] and [tex]
\left[\begin{array}{cc}i&0\\0&-i\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

I do not know what this means. I just see that the corresponding discrete system cylces around 4 stages:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}i\\u\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{c}i\\1\end{array}\right]
\rightarrow \left[\begin{array}{c}-1\\-i\end{array}\right]
\rightarrow \left[\begin{array}{c}-i\\-1\end{array}\right]
\rightarrow \left[\begin{array}{c}1\\i\end{array}\right]
\rightarrow \left[\begin{array}{c}i\\1\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

that correspond to all energy concentrated in 1) inductor node, 2) capacitor, 3) inductor current flowing in opposite direction and 4) capacitor charged oppositely. The imagenray 'i' state corresponds to [value 0 + conterpart (speed of change) 1]. That is, imaginary part duplicates the state of counterpart variable, which is necessary for diagonal system that decouples accumulations from each other.

Related to What is the significance of diagonalizing the matrix in an LC-circuit?

What is an LC-circuit?

An LC-circuit is an electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in various electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

What are eigenvectors of an LC-circuit?

Eigenvectors of an LC-circuit are special vectors that represent the behavior of the circuit when it is subjected to a time-varying input signal. They describe the natural oscillations of the circuit and can be used to analyze its behavior.

How are eigenvectors of an LC-circuit calculated?

Eigenvectors of an LC-circuit can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the circuit, which is a second-order differential equation. The resulting eigenvectors represent the natural frequencies of the circuit and their corresponding amplitudes.

What is the significance of eigenvectors in an LC-circuit?

Eigenvectors in an LC-circuit are important because they provide insight into the behavior and response of the circuit to different input signals. They can help determine the stability of the circuit and identify any potential issues that may arise.

Can eigenvectors be used to improve the performance of an LC-circuit?

Yes, eigenvectors can be used to improve the performance of an LC-circuit by optimizing its natural frequencies. By adjusting the values of the inductor and capacitor, the eigenvectors can be manipulated to achieve desired oscillation patterns and enhance the circuit's overall efficiency.