What Is the Sign of the Potential Difference Near a Negatively Charged Plate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving from a region with uniformly distributed positive and negative charges to a region near a negatively charged plate. The question asks about the sign of the potential difference in this case. The solution involves making assumptions about the direction of the electric field and using equations related to electric potential and the e-field to determine the answer. The summary ends with a note about utilizing symbols in the chat box toolbar.
jtb93

Homework Statement

A particle begins in a region where positive and negative charges are uniformly distributed and ends up in a region near a negatively charged plate. What is the sign of the potential difference in this case?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed this problem followed "like repels like." I concluded that the potential difference would be negative for a positive particle and positive for a negative particle. The answer in the book says the answer is just negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jtb93,

If the electrode is negatively charged, what does the e-field around the electrode look like? How is potential difference related to the e-field?
Also, you certainly do have equations relevant to this situation. What might they be?

Thanks for the response on my question. I'm honestly lost in physics right now and my professor is of no help. My course is online and the professor has little to no office hours per week.

In the question you responded to, I assume that a negatively charged particle would move towards a positively charged plate, but that does not reflect what is stated in the answer (negative).

jtb93 said:
In the question you responded to, I assume that a negatively charged particle would move towards a positively charged plate, but that does not reflect what is stated in the answer (negative).

Well, we can always make a few assumptions and see what happens. However, before we do that, can you answer the questions in my previous post?

The electric field would be directed towards electron.
PE=qV?

jtb93 said:
The electric field would be directed towards electron.

Okay. And how is electric potential related to the e-field? What is the electric potential near to this electrode compared to far away?

jtb93 said:
deltaV=deltaPE/q?

Well, we don't appear to be working with potential energy in this problem, so do you know another equation? Perhaps one that links electric potential to the e-field or to a charged particle?
Note that you can click the symbol that looks like ∑ in the toolbar above the chat box to bring up a list of symbols. In there you can find Delta (Δ) third in the list.

Related to What Is the Sign of the Potential Difference Near a Negatively Charged Plate?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the strength of the electric field.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected to the two points in the electric field. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between the two points.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

4. How is potential difference related to electric current?

According to Ohm's law, potential difference is directly proportional to electric current. This means that as the potential difference increases, the electric current also increases.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential difference?

Some examples of potential difference in everyday life include the voltage in a battery, the potential difference across a lightbulb, and the potential difference in a power outlet that powers electronic devices.