What is the Shell Method for Evaluating Volume of Revolved Solids?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the height and average radius of a shell revolving around the x-axis.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Using the shell method, set up and evaluate the integral that gives the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region about the x-axis.
y = x3 bounded by y = 8, and x = 0.

Homework Equations

volume of a solid revolved around x-axis using the shell method.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the height h(y) of some arbitrary shell and the average radius p(y) of all shells multiply them together and then integrate them, which I am fairly confident I can do so I am not going to worry about that at this time. For my height, h(y), I have a distance of "y" and I understand that. But the average radius p(y) is what I do not understand, the answer says that they are just multiplying the height by x(y), y1/3, which they do because they are integrating wrt y. But geometrically, I would have thought the average radius would be (8 - y1/3).

Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:
I have to find the height h(y) of some arbitrary shell and the average radius p(y) of all shells multiply them together and then integrate them, which I am fairly confident I can do so I am not going to worry about that at this time. For my height, h(y), I have a distance of "y" and I understand that. But the average radius p(y) is what I do not understand, the answer says that they are just multiplying the height by x(y), y1/3, which they do because they are integrating wrt y. But geometrically, I would have thought the average radius would be (8 - y1/3).

Are you working out of the Larson book, by chance?
You got it mixed up, I think. y = 8 is a horizontal line, and it serves as the upper limit of integration. Your representative rectangles are parallel to the axis of revolution. h(y) is the distance from the y-axis to the curve, so it's actually y1/3. p(y) is the distance from the rectangle to the x-axis, which is y.

I understand it now, thank you. I am working out of larson 9e, is there another textbook for calculus that you can suggest would help teach the course better?

Related to What is the Shell Method for Evaluating Volume of Revolved Solids?

What is the Shell Method for setting up integrals?

The Shell Method is a technique for finding the volume of a solid of revolution by integrating the product of the circumference of a cylindrical shell and its height.

When is the Shell Method typically used?

The Shell Method is typically used when the solid of revolution has a vertical axis of rotation and the cross sections are perpendicular to the axis.

What is the formula for setting up a Shell Method integral?

The formula for setting up a Shell Method integral is V = 2π ∫(radius)(height)(thickness) dx, where dx represents the width of the shell and the radius and height are functions of x.

How does the Shell Method differ from the Disk Method?

The Shell Method differs from the Disk Method in that the Disk Method uses disks or washers to approximate the volume of a solid of revolution, while the Shell Method uses cylindrical shells.

What are the steps for setting up a Shell Method integral?

The steps for setting up a Shell Method integral are as follows:

1. Determine the axis of revolution.
  2. Draw a representative figure of the solid of revolution.
  3. Identify the radius and height functions in terms of x.
  4. Set up the integral using the formula V = 2π ∫(radius)(height)(thickness) dx.
  5. Identify the limits of integration based on the region of integration.
  6. Solve the integral to find the volume of the solid of revolution.