What is the rms potential difference across the resistor?

In summary, The first part of the problem is to find the rms potential difference across the resistor in a series RLC circuit driven by an alternating source at a frequency of 380 Hz and an emf amplitude of 90.0 V, with a resistance of 20.0 , a capacitance of 12.1 µF, and an inductance of 24.2 mH. The voltage drop across the resistor cannot be found by considering the resistance alone, as it is affected by the reactive components in the circuit. To find the correct answer, an equation involving all circuit components must be set up and solved.
mr_coffee
Hello every9one I'm stuck on finding the first part:
A series RLC circuit is driven by an alternating source at a frequency of 380 Hz and an emf amplitude of 90.0 V. The resistance is 20.0 , the capacitance is 12.1 µF, and the inductance is 24.2 mH.

my first answer was wrong,
Am i t hinking this right?
Vab = Vmax sin(wt)
Vab = iR
i = 90/20 = 4.5, but thisn't isn't i max is it?
do i have to take i/sqrt(2) to get i max?
then with i max can i find the rms across the ressitor?
I found a formula that syas:
Vab = Vmax*sin(wt) but time isn't given at all, netiehr isVmax! :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
You must set up an equation for the current involving ALL of the circuit components. You cannot get the answer by considering the resistance alone.

This is not correct {i = 90/20 = 4.5 A}.

As Integral indicated, the 90 volts applies to the R + L + C in series.

R is a non-reactive component so the voltage drop will be in phase with the applied volatage. L and C are reactive components so the voltage drops will be out of phase with the applied voltage.

So VR has same shape, but different amplitude, than V.

Related to What is the rms potential difference across the resistor?

The root mean square (rms) potential difference across a resistor is a measure of the average voltage across the resistor over a period of time. It takes into account both the magnitude and duration of the voltage fluctuations.

How is the rms potential difference calculated?

The rms potential difference is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of the potential difference over a given time period. This accounts for both positive and negative values, resulting in a positive value that represents the average voltage.

Why is the rms potential difference important?

The rms potential difference is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the voltage across a resistor, especially in circuits with alternating current. It is also used in calculations for power and energy.

What is the difference between rms potential difference and average potential difference?

The average potential difference is simply the arithmetic mean of the potential difference values over a period of time, while the rms potential difference takes into account the fluctuations in voltage. The rms value is always equal to or less than the average value.

How is the rms potential difference related to the peak potential difference?

The peak potential difference is the maximum value of the potential difference, while the rms potential difference is the effective value over a period of time. The peak value is always higher than the rms value and can be calculated by multiplying the rms value by the square root of 2.