What is the required speed to average 60 MPH for a car trip with varying speeds?

• Thread starter lrandf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation was about two brain teasers: calculating the speed needed to average 60 MPH for a trip involving different speeds, and determining the distance a bookworm traveled after eating through four volumes of Shakespeare. The participants discussed various approaches to solving the problems and acknowledged the impossibility of certain scenarios.
lrandf
Please someone help me with these brain teasers, Thanks! I have try to answer these problem, but I don't know whether they are right or wrong. PLEASE HELP! :cry:

A hill is one mile from the bottom to the top and then one mile from the top to thebottom. A person drives a car from the bottom to the top going 30 MPH. How fast does the person have to drive the car down the hill inorder to average 60 MPH fro the entire trip?

My answer is 90MPH

There are four volumes of Shakespeare on the shelf. The pages of each volue are exactly two incles thick. The covers are each one-sixth of an inch thick. A bookworm started eating at page 1 of Volume I and ate straight through to the last page of Volume IV. What distance did the worm cover?

My answer is 9 1/3

Ann :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Q1) How is average velocity defined ? What is the formula for it ? How do you calculate each of the components in this formula - assume the speed during the second part of the trip is v, and solve for it from the equation for the average velocity.

Q2) This depends on how the books are arranged : I II III IV or IV III II I

The first way is more likely, and the answer there would be much smaller than your guess. Actually stack 4 books the correct way, and do this again.

Last edited:
I do not get the first question it just seems to be impossible: if it would take no time to go down hill you would have traveled 2 miles in 1/30 hours (the time it took to travel up hill), this would give the average velocity of 60MPH , but this is of course impossible... if it does take some time the average velocity will be lower...

I am very curious to Gokul's solution, for me writing it down in a formula does not make it any clearer, it is the same thing, I mean it shows exactly the same impossibility...I guess there is some catch I do not see??

First problem:
The problem with saying the speed going down is 90 and then saying ave. speed = (90 + 30) / 2 is that your assuming that the amount of time the car was traveling 30mph and the amount of time it was traveling at 90mph were equal, which isn't the case since the trip in which the car is traveling at 90 will be less time than the trip during which the car is traveling at 30, and therefore the speed 90mph will have a smaller contribution to the overall average. To solve this problem, you have to think in terms of percentage of the entire trip. Unfortunately, I don't have time to give this problem enough thought myself, but try solving it keeping in mind the fact that the trip up the hill and the trip down the hill will be different times so it won't be a simple ave = x + y / 2

Second problem:
According to your wording, the worm doesn't go through the first and last cover. Therefore, his distance is 4(2) + (6/6) = 9.

gerben said:
I do not get the first question it just seems to be impossible: if it would take no time to go down hill you would have traveled 2 miles in 1/30 hours (the time it took to travel up hill), this would give the average velocity of 60MPH , but this is of course impossible... if it does take some time the average velocity will be lower...

I am very curious to Gokul's solution, for me writing it down in a formula does not make it any clearer, it is the same thing, I mean it shows exactly the same impossibility...I guess there is some catch I do not see??

You're perfectly correct. If you solve for t2, using v(avg) = 2d/(t1+t2), you will get t2 = 0. This requires an infinite downhill velocity, which as you mentioned, is impossible.

I was only trying to describe the correct method to approach this kind of problem because, as LastOne has mentioned, many people tend to simply take the arithmetic mean.

Gokul43201 said:
You're perfectly correct. If you solve for t2, using v(avg) = 2d/(t1+t2), you will get t2 = 0. This requires an infinite downhill velocity, which as you mentioned, is impossible.

I was only trying to describe the correct method to approach this kind of problem because, as LastOne has mentioned, many people tend to simply take the arithmetic mean.

Yes ok thanks Gokul, I see, there really was no catch... the question was simply impossible to answer, the "answer" should be: There is no possible velocity that could make the average velocity of the car be 60 MPH.

Although you have to learn that "average velocity" means "the distance traversed divided by the time it took to traverse this distance" I sympathize with you (Irandf) that people are giving you such questions to learn it. I always hated questions like this, and still do, I mean they ask for a speed of a car and there simply is no speed of a car that could answer the question...

It is probably some kind of mathematics guy who asked you this question, they :wink: often do not care about any physical possibility of the answer to their problems...

Moreover, the answer: Infinite velocity (whatever that may be) is only valid for those who accept that:
x = infinity
is an solution for:
x = 1/0
which is not intuitive for anybody, and also in mathematics the equation x = 1/0 is said to be not defined, meaning it is not defined what x is is this case...

Perhaps since we're dealing with a real world example, it would help to say that "as one's velocity approaches infinity, the average speed approaches 60mph. At ave. = 60mph, the function is undefined." Not that it changes anything, it just helps with visualizing the situation since infinity has more meaning as far as velocity is concerned than "undefined" does.

l-...ll...ll...ll...-l
...I...II...III...IV...

9 inch

Related to What is the required speed to average 60 MPH for a car trip with varying speeds?

What are brain teasers?

Brain teasers are puzzles or riddles that are designed to challenge one's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They often require creative thinking and the ability to think outside the box.

Why are brain teasers important?

Brain teasers are important because they help to improve cognitive skills such as memory, concentration, and problem-solving abilities. They also stimulate the brain and keep it active, which can help to prevent cognitive decline.

How can brain teasers help with problem-solving?

Brain teasers require individuals to think critically and approach problems from different angles, which can help to develop problem-solving skills. They also encourage individuals to think creatively and come up with unique solutions.

Are brain teasers suitable for all ages?

Yes, brain teasers are suitable for all ages as there are various levels of difficulty. They can be adapted to different age groups and can provide a fun and challenging activity for both children and adults.

Where can I find brain teasers to solve?

There are many online resources, books, and apps that offer brain teasers to solve. You can also create your own brain teasers or find them in newspapers, magazines, and puzzle books.