What is the required force to keep a box from sliding on a frictionless ramp?

In summary, Daniel is trying to figure out what the question is asking and is having difficulty understanding it. He manages to solve part a) and part b) by using the right parameters, but part c) is still a bit unclear.
Poobel
Fro some reason can't figure this one out:

A box is sitting at a frictionless ramp, with a force of 150 N acting on the box, perpendicular to the ground. The ramp is at 25 degrees towards the normal.
a)Determine the force parallel to the surface of the ramp, that would keep the box from moving, i.e. force of friction.
b) Determine the tension of the rope fastened at the middle of the top of the box, that pulls at a 45 degree angle to the top surface of that box and keeps it from sliding.

It seems that I have a problem figuring out what the hell is this question answering. The wording is confusing (at least to me)

As far as I understand, both a) and b) are asking for the same thing - force required to keep the box from moving. then is it 150/sin25 for a)? becuase the number seems to be too high?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really,pay attention to the congruent angles...

Daniel.

then I should use 65 degrees? I am confused by the part that says perpendicular to the ground. Is it perpendicular to the ramp or the ground ground?

It would have said "on the ramp",trust me...

Daniel.

ok then I can use 150/cos25 to find the friction, and thus answer a)?

Nope,u'd have to use 150 sin 25°...

Daniel.

yeah, that's what I said in the beginning, but the force then is approx 355N is that actually correct?

then for part b) it would be 355N/sin 45?

Poobel said:
Fro some reason can't figure this one out:

A box is sitting at a frictionless ramp, with a force of 150 N acting on the box, perpendicular to the ground. The ramp is at 25 degrees towards the normal.
a)Determine the force parallel to the surface of the ramp, that would keep the box from moving, i.e. force of friction.
b) Determine the tension of the rope fastened at the middle of the top of the box, that pulls at a 45 degree angle to the top surface of that box and keeps it from sliding.

It seems that I have a problem figuring out what the hell is this question answering. The wording is confusing (at least to me)

As far as I understand, both a) and b) are asking for the same thing - force required to keep the box from moving. then is it 150/sin25 for a)? becuase the number seems to be too high?

The 150N is perpendicular to the ground because it is the force due to gravity.

Your answer to a) is almost correct (at least you used the right parameters). However, it should be 150 * sin 25, not division (this is probably why your answer seemed to high).

b) kind of asks the same thing. a) had the force counteracting the sliding of the box parallel to the box, so the total force was equal to the force being directed down the ramp. In b), the force is at a different angle - 45 degrees relative to the ramp, so the total force will have to be greater (some of it is directed perpendicular to the ramp as well as parallel to the ramp).

Exactly how you solve these depends on what makes it easier to visualize what's happening. Some people find it easier to use the ground as a reference, some the gravity force as the reference, some the ramp's surface as the reference.

Personally, just make the surface of the ramp my 'x-axis' with the bottom being the positive direction. Then the force of gravity is pushing the box at a 65 degree angle (that's okay, because the cosine of 65 is the same as the sine of 25). The rope pulls the box back along the x-axis with the same force that gravity pushes, so I know the magnitude of the x component of the rope's force. The rope is at a 45 degree angle. The tension of the rope times the cosine of 45 degrees equals the x component (T * cos 45 = 150 * cos 65).
If I divide both sides by the cos 45, the tension is equal to the x-component divided by the cosine (150 * cos 65)/cos 45.

The important thing is to draw this out if you have problems understanding what's going on. It makes it easier to figure out which sides of which triangles you're dealing with.

Edit: I guess if I'm going to use cos 65, then I should actually use it. Like I said, it's better to draw it if you want to keep things straight. :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot BobG. I did try to sketch.. more than once, but I guess I am just kinda slow today Thanks again.

Attachments

• morethanonce.jpg
    morethanonce.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 404

Related to What is the required force to keep a box from sliding on a frictionless ramp?

1. What is a "Box on a frictionless ramp"?

A "Box on a frictionless ramp" is a physics problem that involves a box placed on a ramp with no friction present. This allows for the box to slide down the ramp without any resistance from friction.

2. What is the significance of studying a "Box on a frictionless ramp"?

The "Box on a frictionless ramp" problem is commonly used in physics education to demonstrate the concept of forces and motion, particularly the effects of gravity and normal force on an object. It also helps students understand the difference between static and kinetic friction.

3. What are the key factors that affect the motion of the "Box on a frictionless ramp"?

The key factors that affect the motion of the "Box on a frictionless ramp" are the angle of the ramp, the mass of the box, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the acceleration and velocity of the box as it slides down the ramp.

4. How does the "Box on a frictionless ramp" problem relate to real-life situations?

The "Box on a frictionless ramp" problem can relate to real-life situations where friction is minimal, such as a car on an icy road or a rollercoaster on a smooth track. It also helps in understanding the motion of objects on inclined surfaces, like a skier going down a slope.

5. What are some examples of applications of the "Box on a frictionless ramp" problem in the field of science?

The "Box on a frictionless ramp" problem has various applications in the field of science, including understanding the movement of objects in space, designing efficient transportation systems, and analyzing the effects of gravity on objects. It is also used in engineering and architecture to determine the stability of structures on inclined surfaces.