What is the Relationship Between Work and Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate work done against friction using the equation WD = F x D. There is confusion about the value of D and suggestions to use the cosine formula, but it is not mentioned in the syllabus. The final answer is 66 000 J.
ellieee
Homework Statement
how to calculate work done against friction? I saw alot of people suggesting to use the formula involving cosine if I'm not wrong but it's not in my syallbus, so is there another way to calculate it?
Relevant Equations
WD = F x D
-

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you consider inclined plane ?

ellieee said:
Homework Statement:: how to calculate work done against friction? I saw a lot of people suggesting to use the formula involving cosine if I'm not wrong but it's not in my syallbus, so is there another way to calculate it?
Relevant Equations:: WD = F x D

-
You need to state the whole question or we're just guessing.

haruspex said:
You need to state the whole question or we're just guessing.
qn 3c

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_202321.jpg
    IMG_20210505_202321.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 109
anuttarasammyak said:
Do you consider inclined plane ?
refer to qn 3c pls:) not inclined plane

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_202321.jpg
    IMG_20210505_202321.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 97
As you referred WD=F*D
F=11,000 N
D is a distance meter the tractor goes in 5 seconds.

anuttarasammyak said:
As you referred WD=F*D
F=11,000 N
D is a distance meter the tractor goes in 5 seconds.
oh but the answer is (11 000)(6.0) = 66 000 J though

ellieee said:
oh but the answer is (11 000)(6.0) = 66 000 J though
So, what is D?

onatirec said:
So, what is D?
oh I was careless and didn't see properly , sorry

Related to What is the Relationship Between Work and Friction?

1. What is work done against friction?

Work done against friction refers to the amount of energy expended in overcoming the resistance force of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of the effort required to move an object across a surface.

2. How is work done against friction calculated?

The work done against friction is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the frictional force by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the frictional force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done against friction?

The amount of work done against friction is affected by several factors, including the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving. Rougher surfaces, heavier objects, and higher speeds typically result in greater work done against friction.

4. Why is work done against friction considered a loss of energy?

Work done against friction is considered a loss of energy because it is converted into heat energy, rather than being used to do useful work. This is due to the fact that friction always opposes motion, resulting in some of the energy being dissipated as heat.

5. How can the amount of work done against friction be reduced?

The amount of work done against friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the friction between surfaces. Additionally, using smoother surfaces, reducing the weight of the object, and minimizing the speed at which the object is moving can also help to reduce the work done against friction.