What Is the Relationship Between Torque and Weight in Vehicle Payload Capacity?

In summary, the torque vs weight relationship is complex and cannot be determined with just three parameters. On level ground, the relationship is based on acceleration rather than speed, and on hills it varies depending on the incline. More information is needed to accurately determine the relationship.
dipub1982
I am trying to figure out the torque vs weight relationship. I am working on a software project where I want to create an application to determine the maximum payload on vehicle with rubber tyre on asphalt road.

I am having three parameter

1. Torque
2. RPM
3. Diameter of tyre

based on which I need to determine the payload capacity of a vehicle.

Example 1

Torque = 106 kg.cm
RPM = 10
wheel diameter = 10 cm
Speed will be = 2 X pi X (diameter/2) X (RPM/60) = 5.24 cm/s

Example 2
Torque = 47.19kg.cm
RPM = 200
wheel diameter = 5 cm
Speed will be = 2 X pi X (diameter/2) X (RPM/60) = 52.38 cm/s

Example 3
Torque = 109.20 kg.cm
RPM = 60
wheel diameter = 6 cm
Speed will be = 2 X pi X (diameter/2) X (RPM/60) = 18.86 cm/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to figure out the torque vs weight relationship

Those three parameters aren't nearly enough.

On level ground (and ignoring air drag and rolling resistance) the relationship is via acceleration not speed. eg The torque required to maintain a constant speed is zero because there are no forces to be overcome. On hills it's a different matter.

Related to What Is the Relationship Between Torque and Weight in Vehicle Payload Capacity?

1. What is the difference between weight and torque?

Weight is the measure of the gravitational force acting on an object due to its mass and the acceleration of gravity. Torque, on the other hand, is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How are weight and torque related?

The weight of an object and its distance from the axis of rotation determine the torque it can produce. The longer the distance from the axis, the greater the torque will be.

3. Why is torque important in mechanical systems?

Torque is important because it allows us to understand and predict the rotational motion of objects in mechanical systems. It is also crucial for designing and building machines that can perform specific tasks efficiently.

4. How does changing the weight affect the torque in a system?

Changing the weight of an object can affect the torque in a system by altering the force and distance from the axis of rotation. Increasing the weight of an object will result in a greater torque, while decreasing the weight will result in a smaller torque.

5. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. The force is measured in newtons and the distance in meters. This formula only applies when the force is at a perpendicular angle to the axis of rotation.