What is the relationship between time, speed, and mass of a photon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a photon traveling at the speed of light and someone also traveling at the speed of light. It is explained that this supposition is not physical and there is no frame in which the photon is at rest. The laws of physics do not allow for someone to travel at the speed of light, and it is not possible due to the relativity theory. The conversation also touches on the concept of the speed of light being the same in all reference frames and the use of Galilean transformation versus Lorentz transformation. Ultimately, it is concluded that the maximum speed limit in any inertial reference frame is the speed of light.
shihab-kol
Someone asked me the other day that
a photon is traveling at c and he is also traveling at c (suppose)
then to him the photon is at rest and so it must have a mass

I could not answer him and so I need some help

Physics news on Phys.org
shihab-kol said:
That supposition is not physical. There is no frame in which the photon is at rest, since the photon travels at c in all inertial frames.

DrClaude said:
That supposition is not physical. There is no frame in which the photon is at rest, since the photon travels at c in all inertial frames.
Please clarify on what you mean by "physical"
Why is it not possible?

shihab-kol said:
Please clarify on what you mean by "physical"
Why is it not possible?
Because the laws of physics do not allow for someone traveling at ##c##.

DrClaude said:
Because the laws of physics do not allow for someone traveling at ##c##.
But why?
I have not studied much of the relativity theory and so, am not able to grasp the thing.
Thanks

The reference frame of "someone traveling at c" is not one of the frames where the laws of physics can be described in a straightforward way. This is because such an observer does not have a "timelike world line"- in a sense, he is not moving forward through time at all.
Of course, that's also why massive beings like us can never reach c.

maline said:
The reference frame of "someone traveling at c" is not one of the frames where the laws of physics can be described in a straightforward way. This is because such an observer does not have a "timelike world line"- in a sense, he is not moving forward through time at all.
Of course, that's also why massive beings like us can never reach c.
I understand, as t=0, the idea is not feasible .
Thank You.

shihab-kol said:
But why?
I have not studied much of the relativity theory and so, am not able to grasp the thing.
Thanks
The simple answer at a "B" level is that it you would need an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a massive body to the speed of light.

DrClaude said:
The simple answer at a "B" level is that it you would need an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a massive body to the speed of light.
Okay, Thanks for the clarification.

The answer I find simplest is to say that relativity starts with the postulate that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames. So in "the rest frame of light" the light would be stationary and moving at c at the same time - which is contradictory. So you cannot describe the rest frame of light in relativity. And relativity keeps passing experimental tests, so it's basic postulates seem to be correct.

shihab-kol said:
Someone asked me the other day that
then to him the photon is at rest and so it must have a mass

I could not answer him and so I need some help

No matter how fast you chase after a beam of light, the beam recedes from you at the same speed. Thus you will never see it have any speed other than ##c##. You certainly would not see it have a speed of zero.

From there, it's easy to deduce the fact that you can never have a speed of ##c##.

Another answer to your questioner is that he is assuming an (incorrect) Galilean transformation (as in Newtonian mechanics) for relative velocity rather than the (experimentally verified) Lorentz transformation.

Thank You to all of you for replying, I understand the idea now perfectly.

I think you can also look at it going "backwards" in the logic. That is, if the speed of light is the maximum speed limit any inertial reference frame will see, then it also has to be the same in every inertial reference frame, otherwise you'd get the speed of light as a + c in some frame, a >0.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
Thanks

Related to What is the relationship between time, speed, and mass of a photon?

What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to the speed of light in a vacuum.

Can the speed of a photon change?

No, the speed of a photon is constant and cannot be altered. This is one of the fundamental principles of physics known as the speed of light postulate.

How does the speed of a photon compare to other objects?

The speed of a photon is the fastest speed possible and is significantly faster than the speed of any other object in the universe. It is approximately 670 million miles per hour.

What is the relationship between time and the speed of a photon?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time slows down as an object approaches the speed of light. This means that for a photon traveling at the speed of light, time does not pass at all.

How is the speed of a photon measured?

The speed of a photon is measured using instruments such as lasers and mirrors to measure the time it takes for a photon to travel a known distance. This is known as the time-of-flight method.