What is the relationship between Dot and cross product vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quantity (absolute value vectorA x vectorB close absolute value)^2 + (absolute value vectorA * vectorB close absolute value)^2 and different approaches to solving it. The conversation covers the use of the absolute value and the formulas for cross product and dot product. Ultimately, the final answer is determined to be |A|2|B|2.
Dx
[SOLVED] dot and cross product vector

Hi!
The quantity (absolute value vectorA x vectorB close absolute value)^2 + (absolute value vectorA * vectorB close absolute value)^2 is equivalent to:

I am confused, a close example used numbers in place of the vectors so I gave it a try in a book I have. I know because its absolute that the numbers would be positive then all I would have to do is square those values and then solve. Nope! I must have done something wrong because it doesn't match any of the answers found. I thought the answer was vectorA^2 + 2AvectorA * vectorB but I really guessed so I am not to sure what to do for this problem. Anyone want to help me please?
Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know because its absolute that the numbers would be positive then all I would have to do is square those values and then solve.

I think the fact that you don't even tell us what "numbers" you are talking about indicates that you are not reading the problem very closely.

Perhaps it would be simplest to use the fact that, for cross product, |u x v|= |u||v|sin(theta), where theta is the angle between u and v, and, for dot product, u*v= |u||v|cos(theta).

|u x v|+ |u*v|= |u||v|(sin(theta)+ |cos(theta)|)

You have to keep the absolute value on cosine since, if the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees, it will be negative.

I don't know why you are talking about squaring: the problem as you gave it said nothing about squaring.

HOI! I re-edited my question, it does have ^2 in my problem now. The "NUMBERS" I referred to were generic, made-up, don't exist simply because the problem did not define the vectors.
I always understood that if you (eg; |-1| = 1) had an absolute of anything it turns negatives to positive numbers. Can you show me what your talking about below with the |cos(theta) being greater than 90 degrees which would yeild a negative number[?]
I appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this?

|u x v|^2+ |u*v|^2= |u||v|-(u*v)^2 + |u*v|^2
Then cancel out the dot products leaving |u||v| as my answer.
What do you think?

Originally posted by Dx
Hi!
The quantity (absolute value vectorA x vectorB close absolute value)^2 + (absolute value vectorA * vectorB close absolute value)^2 is equivalent to:

|A*B| = |A||B|cos θ
|AxB| = |A||B|sin θ

therefore

|A*B|2 + |AxB|2 = |A|2|B|2(cos2 θ + sin2 θ) = |A|2|B|2

How about this?

|u x v|^2+ |u*v|^2= |u||v|-(u*v)^2 + |u*v|^2
Then cancel out the dot products leaving |u||v| as my answer.
What do you think?

What reason do you have for thinking that equation is true?
Which part is |u x v|^2 and which part is |u*v|^2?

You might do best by taking the formulas that both Lethe and I suggested and squaring them.

Related to What is the relationship between Dot and cross product vector?

1. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. The cross product of two vectors is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and has a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

2. How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

To calculate the dot product of two vectors, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add the results. For example, if the vectors are a = [a1, a2, a3] and b = [b1, b2, b3], then the dot product would be a · b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

3. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you take the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the vectors and the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and its magnitude will be equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

4. When would you use the dot product versus the cross product?

The dot product is useful for finding the angle between two vectors and for determining if two vectors are perpendicular. The cross product is useful for finding a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors and for calculating the area of a parallelogram or the volume of a parallelepiped.

5. What are some real-world applications of the dot and cross product?

The dot product is commonly used in physics and engineering for calculating work, power, and torque. The cross product is used in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics for calculating forces and magnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics for determining the orientation of a 3D object and for lighting and shading calculations.