What is the relationship between conductors and inductors?

In summary, conductors and insulators are two different types of materials, with distinct properties and definitions. Conductors allow the free movement of electrons, while insulators have a significant barrier between the energies of their valence and conduction bands. Inductors, on the other hand, are conductors shaped to exaggerate their inductance, and are not charged. These materials do not typically switch between being conductors and insulators, and charge does not determine their classification.
mapa
Can all conductors be inductors and could all inductors be conductors?

I get confused about this because I know that inductor can be positively charges by a conductor. Can an conductor become an inductor by losing its charge from an inductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, outside of an external means (say temperature) to change the chemistry or physical properties of a material, that a conductor cannot be an insulator and vice-versa. The two materials are exclusively defined. A conductor is a material where the electrons have no barriers from moving from the valence band to the conduction band and are more or less free to move about the material. An insulator is a material that has a significant barrier between the energies of the valence electrons and those of the closest conduction band levels. A semiconductor has properties of both in that there is still a bandgap (a series of energy levels between the valence and conduction bands that electrons cannot exist at), but the bandgap is small enough that we can excite electrons from the valence to the conduction band by injecting sufficient energy into them.

Last edited:
All conductors are posess inductance without exception.

Antiphon said:
All conductors are posess inductance without exception.

I don't think he means inductance and capacitance, but insulator and conductor in terms of the chemical (and atomic) properties of the material.

Last edited:
Ok, how about: All real wires irrespective of their their chemical and atomic properties as long as they conduct electric current are inductors.

What am I missing?

Antiphon said:
Ok, how about: All real wires irrespective of their their chemical and atomic properties as long as they conduct electric current are inductors.

What am I missing?

$#&!%@. I think he means INSULATOR and conductor, I got caught up with the word "inductor" that he was using. Going off his positive and negative charges statements, I assumed that he was talking about conductors and insulators where you can strip off the electrons of an insulator to make it positively charged and negatively charge a conductor. Don't know why I kept using his word "inductor." Otherwise his statement about charges does not make sense in terms of inductance and conductance. I'll change my previous posts to reflect this.

So from what I understand is that conductors and inductors are constantly
switching. Is this correct?

mapa said:

No mapa. You mean insulator not inductor. Inductor means something completely different.

And no they aren't usually changing.

mapa said:

Every conductor has inductance. It doesn't switch from being a conductor and being an inductor, inductance just comes with conducting current. An inductor is just a conductor shaped to exaggerate the inductance...a wire wound in a coil. Inductors are not charged, either positively or negatively.

If you mean insulator instead of inductor, then in a substance is either a conductor or an insulator, materials generally don't switch between the two. If enough voltage is applied, an insulator will conduct current, but this generally destroys the insulator.

Charge isn't involved here the way you were describing either...insulators and conductors are both normally electrically neutral, but can be positively or negatively charged. Charge doesn't make something an insulator or a conductor. (or an inductor)

Related to What is the relationship between conductors and inductors?

1. What is the difference between a conductor and an inductor?

A conductor is a material that allows the flow of electric current, while an inductor is a component that resists changes in current flow.

2. How do conductors and inductors affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

Conductors allow the flow of electricity without much resistance, while inductors can either store or release energy in the form of a magnetic field, which can affect the flow of electricity in a circuit.

3. What are some examples of conductors and inductors?

Examples of conductors include metals such as copper and aluminum, while examples of inductors include coils of wire and transformers.

4. How are conductors and inductors used in everyday life?

Conductors are used in a wide range of everyday products, such as electrical wires, appliances, and electronic devices. Inductors are commonly used in power supplies, motors, and generators.

5. What are some properties of conductors and inductors that make them useful in electronics?

Conductors have low resistance, which allows for efficient flow of electricity, while inductors can be used to regulate the flow of electricity and store energy in circuits.