What is the relationship between atomic density and mass density in aluminum?

In summary: From what I can tell, the density of aluminum is 6.04 X 10^22/cm3. So, to find out the mass of one atom of aluminum, you would divide the density by the volume.
mvr01
Can anyone help.

How do I calculate mass density of aluminium, given the atomic density of 6.04 X 10^22.

I understand that Density = Mass/Volume. but the question confuses me.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
the mass density is equal to:

[tex]
\rho = \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta V}
[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta m[/itex] is the mass contained in the volume [itex]\Delta V[/itex]. But, at the same time, the total mass is equal to:

[tex]
\Delta m = m_{0} \, \Delta N
[/tex]

where [itex]m_{0}[/itex] is the mass of one particle (atom, molecule) and [itex]\Delta N[/itex] is the total number of particles in that volume. So, we can write:

[tex]
\rho = \frac{m_{0} \, \Delta N}{\Delta V} = m_{0} \, \frac{\Delta N}{\Delta V}
[/tex]

But, by definition, the number density is:

[tex]
n_{0} \equiv \frac{\Delta N}{\Delta V}
[/tex]

So, we have:

[tex]
\rho = m_{0} \, n_{0}
[/tex]

So, all you need is to find the mass of one atom of aluminum. You will need to review the concept of atomic mass unit and relative atomic (molecular) mass.

Thanks dickfore...

so is this right?

p = (6.04 X 10^22 / 6.023 X 10 ^23) x 26.98 = 2.7g

mvr01 said:
Thanks dickfore...

so is this right?

p = (6.04 X 10^22 / 6.023 X 10 ^23) x 26.98 = 2.7g

in what volume are there [itex]6.04 \times 10^{22}[/itex] particles? You will need to divide with that volume to get a density. As it is now, your result has units of mass.

Last edited:
Sorry,, I hope I am not annoying you. I am getting mixed answers. Can you please work it out for me...

Im gettng volume of 6.04 X 10^22 = 4.470 X10^-23, therefore the mass density equaling 3.645 X 10^46..

or

(6.04 X 10^22 / 9.98 ) X 26.98 = 1.6g/cm^3

Im lost

Last edited:
no, i won't. In your original post, you hadn't specified a correct unit for the number density of Al atoms. This is why your mass density is in incorrect units. You should look back in your problem formulation again.

Yes you're right,,, The question is the atomic density of 6.04 X 10^22 atoms per cm^3.
I missed out the units.

so would this mean, (6.04 X 10^22 cm^3 / 1.023 X 10^23) x 26.98 amu = 2.7 g/cm^3

Last edited:
yes. look up density of aluminum and you compare with what you have found. However, I urge you to think about which one is easier to measure, the density of a bulk material or the number density of the atoms in the material?

Related to What is the relationship between atomic density and mass density in aluminum?

1. What is atomic density?

Atomic density is the measure of how closely packed the atoms are in a substance. It is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is atomic density calculated?

Atomic density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The mass can be determined by weighing a known volume of the substance, and the volume can be determined by measuring the dimensions of the substance.

3. What factors affect atomic density?

Atomic density can be affected by the type of atom, the arrangement of atoms, and the temperature and pressure of the substance. In general, denser substances have a higher atomic density.

4. What are some examples of substances with high atomic density?

Metals such as gold, lead, and platinum have high atomic density due to the close packing of their atoms. Other substances with high atomic density include osmium, iridium, and tungsten.

5. How does atomic density relate to the properties of a substance?

Atomic density can affect the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, substances with high atomic density tend to be harder, stronger, and have a higher melting and boiling point compared to substances with lower atomic density.