What is the relationship between a force field and a potential field?

In summary: This is explained in many sources, but I'm not remembering them all.)No, the relationship between a force field and potential field is explained in many sources, both in book form and on-line. You take the gradient of the potential field and split it into its three dimensional components.
bert2002

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have been given an equation for the magnetic potential of a buried magnetic object which is as follows

Pm=α/x2

Where α is some constant and x is the distance from the magnetic body.
I need to derive an expression for the magnetic field strength at some distance x away from the magnetic body.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the magnetic body will generate it's own magnetic field which in essence is a vector field of magnetic force lines. My question Is, is deriving an expression for the magnetic field strength simply a case of integrating the expression for the magnetic potential with respect to the position x ? If not how do I go about solving this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bert2002 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have been given an equation for the magnetic potential of a buried magnetic object which is as follows

Pm=α/x2

Where α is some constant and x is the distance from the magnetic body.
I need to derive an expression for the magnetic field strength at some distance x away from the magnetic body.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the magnetic body will generate it's own magnetic field which in essence is a vector field of magnetic force lines. My question Is, is deriving an expression for the magnetic field strength simply a case of integrating the expression for the magnetic potential with respect to the position x ? If not how do I go about solving this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

What is the relationship between a force field and the potential field? (This is well explained in many sources, both in book form and on-line.)

Ray Vickson said:
What is the relationship between a force field and the potential field? (This is well explained in many sources, both in book form and on-line.)
I'm pretty rusty with this material it's been a while. A potential field is a scalar field and a force field is a vector field, so in finding the force do I take the gradient of the potential and split r into its 3 dimensional components ?

Related to What is the relationship between a force field and a potential field?

What is the derivation of magnetic force?

The derivation of magnetic force is a mathematical process that explains the relationship between a moving charge and a magnetic field. It is based on the Lorentz force law, which states that the force experienced by a charged particle in a magnetic field is equal to the product of the charge, the velocity of the particle, and the magnetic field strength.

What is the equation for magnetic force?

The equation for magnetic force is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

How is the direction of magnetic force determined?

The direction of magnetic force is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the velocity of the charged particle and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction in which your palm is facing is the direction of the magnetic force.

What is the relationship between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force and electric force are both fundamental forces of nature. While electric force acts on stationary charges, magnetic force acts on moving charges. Additionally, electric force is dependent on the charge of the particle, while magnetic force is dependent on both the charge and velocity of the particle.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has many practical applications, including in motors, generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in magnetic levitation technology, which allows objects to float above a magnetic surface without any physical contact.