What is the relation between Temperature and Quantum State?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature and the state of a system, particularly in regards to the H atom and superconductivity. Temperature is described by the grand canonical ensemble in thermal equilibrium, and there is a theory called BCS theory that explains superconductivity from a quantum perspective. A recommended book on the subject is A. Schmitt's "Introduction to Superfluidity."
jonjacson
Hi folks,

Let's pick a simple example, the H atom. We can calculate all spherical armonics, all quantum numbers so we are able to know which are all the possible states of the electron. We know all the values this observables can take. But the question is, let's say we have a handbook of properties from Hydrogen and we find that at temperature T, the electrical conductivity is X. What is the corresponding state of the atom at that temperature?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are after. Temperature makes sense in thermal equilibrium only, and this is described by the grand canonical ensemble, i.e., the state
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad Z=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}),$$
where ##\hat{H}## is the Hamiltonian of the (many-body) system. That's the relation between temperature ##T=1/\beta## (in natural units, where ##k_{\text{B}}=1##) and the state, reprsented by the grand-canonical statistical operator.

Likes jonjacson
vanhees71 said:
I don't understand what you are after. Temperature makes sense in thermal equilibrium only, and this is described by the grand canonical ensemble, i.e., the state
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad Z=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}),$$
where ##\hat{H}## is the Hamiltonian of the (many-body) system. That's the relation between temperature ##T=1/\beta## (in natural units, where ##k_{\text{B}}=1##) and the state, reprsented by the grand-canonical statistical operator.

Thanks for your answer.

I have found a related thread, I apologize for that:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/relation-between-quantum-mechanics-and-temperature.426455/

Well what I wanted to understand is Superconductivity. We have a solid, and we know at certain temperature it goes to superconductor mode and energy loss for the current is 0. But I wanted to understand what it means from the quantum point of view. Since temperature is not a quantum magnitude I wanted to know how it relates to quantum mechanics.

In superconductivity you have a solid, you have its behavior under different temperatures regarding its electric conductivity. Do you know if there is any theory that tells you at what temperature the solid goes to superconductivity mode?

I mean, if I give you as an input a unit Bravais cell, Would you be able to tell me the temperature for superconductivity?

Look for "BCS theory" which describes superconductivity quantum(-field) theoretically. A very good book about superfluidity and superconductivity is

A. Schmitt, Indroduction to Superfluidity, Springer (2015)

Likes jonjacson
vanhees71 said:
Look for "BCS theory" which describes superconductivity quantum(-field) theoretically. A very good book about superfluidity and superconductivity is

A. Schmitt, Indroduction to Superfluidity, Springer (2015)

THanks, I will do.

Related to What is the relation between Temperature and Quantum State?

1. What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how hot or cold an object or system is.

2. What is quantum state?

Quantum state refers to the set of mathematical properties that describe a quantum system. It includes information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of particles in the system.

3. How does temperature affect quantum state?

Temperature can affect the quantum state of a system by changing the average energy of the particles. As temperature increases, the particles have more energy and their quantum state may shift to a higher energy level.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and quantum state?

The relationship between temperature and quantum state is complex and depends on the specific system being studied. Generally, increasing temperature can lead to changes in the quantum state of the system, such as causing particles to move to higher energy levels or changing the probabilities of different states.

5. How is temperature related to quantum mechanics?

Temperature is related to quantum mechanics through the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the behavior of particles in a system at different temperatures. Quantum mechanics provides a framework for understanding the behavior and properties of particles at a quantum level, including how they interact with each other and their environment at different temperatures.