What is the recommended CFM at 90 PSI for various pipe sizes?

• Thread starter mapair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm Psi
In summary, The recommended maximum CFM for compressed air at 90 PSI varies depending on the system and its needs. Factors such as pipe length and restrictions can greatly affect the flow rate. However, for a 2 psi drop per 10 feet of pipe, the following flow rates can be expected assuming clean, schedule 40 steel pipes: 1/2" - 74 SCFM, 1" - 295 SCFM, 1.25" - 608 SCFM, 1.5" - 912 SCFM, 3" - 4946 SCFM. If more specific calculations are needed, free online calculators can be found through a quick search. The material and construction of the pipes also play
mapair
Hello folks, I am trying to find some general numbers on what the recommended max. CFM for compressed air @ 90 PSI is through the following pipe sizes: 1/2", 1", 1.25", 1.5" & 3". I'm not looking for anything specific, just some general numbers. I'd greatly appreciate any input on this! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi mapair,
I wouldn't recommend a maximum flow through a pipe because it varies so much depending on the actual system and what the system is needed for. The longer the pipe, and the more elbows, valves and other restrictions it has, the more pressure drop you will get. What might be an acceptable flow rate for one system may produce way too much pressure drop for another system.

Just to give you a few numbers for flow (note: all flow is in SCFM, assuming 70 F) I'll jot down some flows that give you a 2 psi drop per 10 feet of pipe. I'm also assuming clean, schedule 40, steel pipe for each of these:
1/2" - 74 SCFM
1" - 295 SCFM
1.25" - 608 SCFM
1.5" - 912 SCFM
3" - 4946 SCFM

If you want more specific calculations, you might try doing a search for free online calculators.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pressure+drop+calculator+free&safe=active

or just be more specific about what you have in your system and I'll throw it into my calculator.

The material and construction technique are probably your most serious considerations. Glued-together ABS will not be in the same universe with welded stainless.

Related to What is the recommended CFM at 90 PSI for various pipe sizes?

1. What does "CFM" stand for when referring to recommended CFM @ 90 PSI?

"CFM" stands for "cubic feet per minute" and is a measurement of the volume of air that a compressor can deliver at a specified pressure, in this case 90 pounds per square inch (PSI).

2. Why is it important to know the recommended CFM @ 90 PSI for a compressor?

Knowing the recommended CFM @ 90 PSI is important because it determines the compressor's ability to power pneumatic tools or equipment. If the CFM is too low, the tool or equipment may not function properly, and if it is too high, it could damage the tool or equipment.

3. How is the recommended CFM @ 90 PSI calculated?

The recommended CFM @ 90 PSI is calculated by considering the air consumption of the tool or equipment being used. Typically, the manufacturer of the tool or equipment will provide this information in the product manual or specifications.

4. Can a compressor with a lower recommended CFM @ 90 PSI be used with tools that require a higher CFM?

No, a compressor with a lower recommended CFM @ 90 PSI should not be used with tools that require a higher CFM. This can cause the compressor to overwork and potentially lead to damage.

5. Is the recommended CFM @ 90 PSI the only important factor when choosing a compressor?

No, the recommended CFM @ 90 PSI is just one factor to consider when choosing a compressor. Other important factors include tank size, horsepower, and duty cycle, all of which will impact the overall performance and capabilities of the compressor.