What is the Range of a Soccer Player's Kick at 20m/s and 15° Angle?

• Thread starter yellow_angel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the conversation is about a soccer player kicking a stationary ball at a speed of 20m/s at an angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal. The goal is to calculate the maximum height reached by the ball and the horizontal range it covers. The formula Rmax=Vo^2/g is mentioned and then the conversation continues with calculating the vertical speed using V=Vo+at and the formula X=Xo+Vot-1/2gt^2. The conversation ends with the correct calculation for the horizontal range being 19.32*(2*0.53s).
yellow_angel

Homework Statement

a soccer player kicks a stationary ball at a speed of 20m/s at an angle of 15[tex]\circ[/tex] to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

i think it would be Rmax=Vo2/g ?

The Attempt at a Solution

19.32 2/9.8=38.09m ??

I'm really lost can someone help me please!

Physics news on Phys.org
From the angle work out the vertical speed
Then think about how the vertical speed changes with time

hint. what happens at the top of the flight?

mmm... so i calculate the vertical speed: 20sin15=5.18m/s? and with that i can find at what time it reaches the max height by doing V=Vo+at: V=5,18/9.8= 0.53s do i have to multiply the time by 2 and then do the same thing to find the horizontal range?

X=Xo+Vot-1/2gt(square) where g=0 and Xo=0 too, so it would be X=19.32*(2*0.53s)?

Whats the acceleration in the horizontal direction?

hint. if you ignore air resistance what forces act horizontally

No idea...im sooo lost! i looked in my book and found this formula R=Vo(square)sin2teta/g omg I am freaking out! what Vo i have to take?!? 20m/s? the Vy? or the Vx?

is it (19.32m/s)^2 sin(30)/9.8m/s^2= 19.04m?

hmm...the only force i see is the Vx=20m/s cos 15=19.32m/s it's the only one horizontaly

yellow_angel said:
mmm... so i calculate the vertical speed: 20sin15=5.18m/s? and with that i can find at what time it reaches the max height by doing V=Vo+at: V=5,18/9.8= 0.53s do i have to multiply the time by 2 and then do the same thing to find the horizontal range?

X=Xo+Vot-1/2gt(square) where g=0 and Xo=0 too, so it would be X=19.32*(2*0.53s)?

All of this is correct!
(Although, you didn't show where or how you got 19.32).

yellow_angel said:
hmm...the only force i see is the Vx=20m/s cos 15=19.32m/s it's the only one horizontaly
Correct, there is no horizontal force, so no aceleration, so speed is constant

Related to What is the Range of a Soccer Player's Kick at 20m/s and 15° Angle?

1. How do I find the range using a graph?

The range on a graph can be found by looking at the vertical axis, also known as the y-axis. The range is the difference between the highest and lowest points on the y-axis.

2. Can I find the range using a set of data?

Yes, you can find the range of a set of data by arranging the numbers in ascending or descending order and then subtracting the lowest number from the highest number.

3. What is the difference between range and domain?

The range refers to the set of all possible output values of a function, while the domain refers to the set of all possible input values. In other words, the range is the result of the function, while the domain is the input of the function.

4. How do I find the range of a continuous function?

To find the range of a continuous function, you can use calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of the function. The range will be the difference between these two values.

5. Can the range be negative?

Yes, the range can be negative if the lowest value in the set of data or on the graph is a negative number. The range is simply the difference between the highest and lowest values, regardless of their signs.