What is the Radius of Fermi Sphere for a 2D metal?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Kittel Solid State Physics regarding a two-dimensional metal with one atom of valence one in a simple rectangular primitive cell. The question asks to calculate the radius of the free electron Fermi sphere and draw it on the Brillouin zones. The solution provided uses electron concentration and k-space volume to find the value of k, which is then used to calculate the radius. The question asks for clarification on the approach and why the result is different.
misterpickle

Homework Statement

Problem 9.2(B) from Kittel Solid State Physics.

A two-dimensional metal has one atom of valence one in a simple rectangular primitive cell of a1 = 2Å and a2 = 4Å. Calculate the radius of the free electron Fermi sphere and draw this sphere to scale on the drawing of the Brillouin zones.

A 2D solution that seems to be correct is posted http://physics.unl.edu/~tsymbal/tsymbal_files/Teaching/SSP-927/HW/Homework%2008_solution.pdf" . Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my approach? Also, some equations weren't working for the latex. Sorry.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the electron concentration in terms of [itex]k_{F}[\latex]

[itex]V=(4/3) \pi k^{3}[/itex]

[itex]N=2*(4/3)*\frac{\pi k^{3}}{V_{k}}[/itex]

where

V_{k}=\frac{2 \pi}{a}*\frac{2 \pi}{a}*\frac{2 \pi}{b}=\frac{4 \pi^{3}}{a^{3}} (latex code didn't work for this)

which is the k-space volume. The factor of 2 is the electron spin degeneracy.

The electron concentration, N, is then:

[itex]N=\frac{8}{3}\frac{\pi k^{3}a^{3}}{4\pi^{3}}=\frac{2k^{3}a^{3}}{3\pi^{2}}[/itex]

which gives

[itex]k=(\frac{3\pi^{2}N}{2a^{3}})^{1/3}[/itex]

using N=1 and plugging in the values for a and b I get.

k=(3\pi^{2})/16 (the latex code is screwing up for some reason)

This gives me 1.23 A^-1.

Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is your momentum space 3d when the problem is 2d?

Related to What is the Radius of Fermi Sphere for a 2D metal?

1. What is the Radius of Fermi Sphere?

The Radius of Fermi Sphere is a concept in condensed matter physics that describes the size of the region in momentum space occupied by electrons in a solid material at absolute zero temperature. It is also known as the Fermi wave vector.

2. How is the Radius of Fermi Sphere calculated?

The Radius of Fermi Sphere is calculated using the Fermi energy (EF) and the effective mass (meff) of electrons in the material. The formula is given by kF = √(2meffEF/ℏ2), where kF is the Fermi wave vector.

3. What does the Radius of Fermi Sphere represent?

The Radius of Fermi Sphere represents the maximum momentum that an electron can have in a solid material at absolute zero temperature. It also defines the boundary between occupied and unoccupied states in the material's energy band structure.

4. How does the Radius of Fermi Sphere affect the properties of a material?

The Radius of Fermi Sphere has a significant impact on the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the magnetic properties of a material. It also plays a crucial role in determining the material's response to external stimuli, such as temperature and pressure.

5. Can the Radius of Fermi Sphere change?

Yes, the Radius of Fermi Sphere can change under certain conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the introduction of impurities in the material. These changes can alter the material's electronic properties and affect its behavior in different ways.